Ported 94-95 vs MPX

90tbirdsc

Hey guys im deciding between having my late model sc ported or just save the money and buy a MPX what would be the best guess at the power difference/ power potential diference between a ported 94-95 with 3 1/2 intake, lightning maf, 85mm tb and mp plentum, fmic, ported exhaust manifolds, exhaust? is porting the 94-95 worth the little time/money or would I or could I make way more hp with a MPX and are they worth the money over a ported late model?

Hey guys im deciding between having my late model sc ported or just save the money and buy a MPX what would be the best guess at the power difference/ power potential diference between a ported 94-95 with 3 1/2 intake, lightning maf, 85mm tb and mp plentum, fmic, ported exhaust manifolds, exhaust? is porting the 94-95 worth the little time/money or would I or could I make way more hp with a MPX and are they worth the money over a ported late model?

With a ported late model blower and ported late model inlet plenum with a 3 inch intake pipe and 75mm throttle body I made 286rwhp and 414rwtq @ 30% od. With an MPx and a 3 1/2 inch intake pipe and 85mm throttle body i made 314rwhp and 459rwtq @ 30% od. It's your call on whether it's worth it or not I guess.

Last edited:
I made 317rwhp with a ported late model .520 lift cam and ported stock valve heads. So there are many variables to consider. One is the tune and if timing was being pulled in the before dyno pull, and not in the after

Last edited:
Yea I know there is so many variables but I was just wondering if there is a huge flow/power difference between the 2. Cause it seems like some people are getting mid 250whp with a ported late model and heads/cam and some people make upper 300's with a mpx with same heads/cam?

I just want to be able to beat camaro z28's with boltons and a few of the stock impala ss cars at my school.

Yea I know there is so many variables but I was just wondering if there is a huge flow/power difference between the 2. Cause it seems like some people are getting mid 250whp with a ported late model and heads/cam and some people make upper 300's with a mpx with same heads/cam?

I just want to be able to beat camaro z28's with boltons and a few of the stock impala ss cars at my school.

My set up had the stock heads and cam. I had a 76mm maf, 9 inch K&N air filter, headers, no cats, 2 1/2 inch dual exhaust with magnaflow mufflers, custom fmic, custom raised top, 80lb injecotrs, 255 fuel pump, tuned on e85 with an sct chip.

I ran a 13.3 @ 101mph with the ported late model in the 1/4 mile. I ran a 13.1 @ 103mph with the MPx in the 1/4 mile.

Like a mail order custom chip? And where can I find 80# injectors cause if I can do e-85 fairly cheap/easily there is more power to be made with properly tuned car on e-85 correct?

I only made 326 at the wheels with my MPX... But dyno's lie!!! :D I turned a 12.03 in the quarter.

Funny you say that

Hey Anthony,
Its funny you mention how dyno's lie. My poor little MPIII setup I am running made 355 RWHP on the dyno at this years shootout, and it ran a 12.15.

I really don't think should be able to run that quick based on Dyno #'s, but who know. perhaps my combo is pretty well maximizing evertything I have to its fullest potential once it gets to track time.

Smitty

Either blower is capable of mid 300s (if you use the MP inlet plenum) and low 12s. The MPX can be spun faster and will be more efficent at high boost levels. Neither will perform well without upgrades to heads, cam, exhaust, air intake, intercooler and fuel system.

David

I missed out on my 11 sec run with that MPX and still think it would have run better if I had a better flowing inlet plenum to match how hard I was spinning it. I was running way to much timing now that I look back on it and that is why I "Raised the Roof!" on 3 pistons. I think a really good converter and the correct gearing plays a huge role in the equations as well.

Like a mail order custom chip? And where can I find 80# injectors cause if I can do e-85 fairly cheap/easily there is more power to be made with properly tuned car on e-85 correct?

I had it dyno tuned. You can make more power on e85 than pump gas because you can run more timing. My tuner said I could probably get away with about 18 degrees of timing at wide open throttle with my setup on pump gas. I was running 24 degrees of timing at wide open throttle with my tune on e85. My car probably could have ran a 12 second pass If I had lower gears and a higher stall converter but I just had the stock rear end gear ratio and stock stall converter.

Any idea on what it should cost for a e-85 setup? Im 16 years old and have a minimum wage job lol so I might have to just stick with 91 octane

Any idea on what it should cost for a e-85 setup? Im 16 years old and have a minimum wage job lol so I might have to just stick with 91 octane

All you need is bigger injectors, bigger fuel pump, and a tune. My injectors cost me like 300 bucks, fuel pump was like 140 bucks, the sct chip was 250 bucks, and the dyno tune was 700 bucks I think.

But my SC is fun stuff :D it keeps me from partying every weekend and I'd like to spend my money on my cars and Dirtbike instead of on stupid little things.

But does the quarter horse software allow e-85 tuning and would that be a good idea for street use (not daily driven)

You can tune for E-85 with BE... It is just a different air fuel ratio.... You also have to watch out for all the issues that Casey went through with the E-85.

Back