PDA

View Full Version : Bi-Xenon HIDS

Flex
12-07-2012, 07:23 PM
Hey guys,

I am looking at purchasing some HID lighting kits for some of my vehicles and for a buddy of mine here in the city. I compared a 35W HID kit side by side compared to my PIAA Extreme Whites and was blown away by how much brighter they were. One of my trucks had a set on it when I bought it and they are amazingly bright even though they are the first generation in hid lighting and only 35W.

After looking at various kits and researching manufacturer quality etc, I have decided on a particular supplier. That being autopartspro on Ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/280712374300?item=280712374300&viewitem=&sspagename=ADME:X:RTQ:MOTORS:1123&vxp=mtr

The kits are warrantied for life and shipping is free, They appear to have the best quality kit based on the individual compoents. We are personally looking at the 55W 6000k for a maximum brightness but any can be chosen from any color spectrum.

I did the usual inquiry into pricing for multiple sets and received this response.

"Ok, 5 kits 25% off, 10 kits 35% off 15 kits 40% let me know John"

If anyone is interested in a set, please let me know.

Currently these are the interested parties;

1.) Flex (me) SCCOA - 4 sets (1 already purchased came today) Confirmed
2.) Seth Howard StangNet - 1 set Confirmed
2.) Davec73 SCCOA - 1 set Confirmed
3.) Chris (blown38) SCCOA - 1 set Confirmed
4.) David D SCCOA - 1 set Confirmed
5.) 90MN12 SCCOA - 1 set Confirmed
6.) 92sclikenew SCCOA - 1 set Confirmed
7.) macius8 SCCOA - 1 set Confirmed
8.) jkessler SCCOA - 1 set CConfirmed
9.) dinglefro SCCOA - 1 set Confirmed

Branko

Flex
12-08-2012, 03:27 PM
The link is apparently not working. I am posting it again.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/280712374300?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

schwalbe
12-16-2012, 02:28 PM
How hard are they to wire in? Just a plug and play?

Flex
12-16-2012, 02:59 PM
They are apparently quite easy to install. My buddy here in the city that is going in with me says it takes an hour or two. The shop where he works bundles the wiring in with the factory wiring so it looks clean.

renello79
12-16-2012, 05:47 PM
I had mine installed in 20 minutes. Super easy to do. Good choice for the temp, the 6000k are the brightest I've seen.

davec73
12-16-2012, 06:25 PM
is this the single low beam set or is it high and low beam? I may be in for a couple sets depending on the price if its good enough maybe 3

Flex
12-16-2012, 06:33 PM
Bi-Xenon so full low and high beam bud.

At 5 sets or 25% off the price is $104.99

At 10 sets or 35% off the price would be $90.99

At 15 sets or 40% off the price would be $83.99

There are cheaper sets out there but I am a firm believer in you get what you pay for. I can't stand driving in the dark with dim or flickering lights. I chose this set as it carries a lifetime guarantee and is guaranteed not to flicker. They are also the brightest ones I could find.

davec73
12-16-2012, 07:55 PM
Bi-Xenon so full low and high beam bud.

There are cheaper sets out there but I am a firm believer in you get what you pay for. I can't stand driving in the dark with dim or flickering lights. I chose this set as it carries a lifetime guarantee and is guaranteed not to flicker. They are also the brightest ones I could find.

If these will work on all my vehicles i will be in for at least 2 05 f150 and the 92 sc. I checked the compatabilty and it isnt showing compatable with my f150 sc or explorer sport trac?

XR7 Dave
12-16-2012, 09:03 PM
How are you administering this buy? Ie. where is shipping, is it drop ship or does someone have to distribute them?

Flex
12-21-2012, 01:40 AM
David,

I was going to do it the same way as the rotors. Present the supplier with a list and have all money paid directly to the supplier and all shipping going directly to the purchasers.

mywhite89
12-21-2012, 11:17 PM
Just wanted to throw my 2 cents in on this. I installed regular hid's in the lows, highs, and fogs. I went with 35 watt on my car in every bulb and they are awesome. I was worried about doing 55s in fogs due to the size of the fog lamps. If you mismatch wattage the color wont be the same, i wanted uniformity.

It is very easy to install these but the factory wiring in these cars is barely good enough for factory lights. For example, after installing hid's on my fog lights they would turn on for a second and shut off. Turns out that my factory wiring could not generate enough current to operate the hids on my fog lights. With that, I decided to use my factory wiring for each the lows, highs, and fogs to turn on relays to power my lights with better wire. I also worried about burning up my headlight switch or multifunction switch which is pretty common in these cars.
I had a lot of extra money in doing this. I used 3 relay kits with plug and play pigtails for a nice clean install. I also had a fuse block that I ended up wiring up so I wouldn't have a wiring nightmare to my battery. I probably have $200-250 extra dollars in the way I did mine on top of buying the hid's and a lot of time. I also have several extra slots left on my extra fuse block i have used or can use for adding other accessories easily and clean in the future.

I'm sure it can be done much cheaper if you want to just buy relays and fab up your own wiring but I like the way I did mine and wouldn't change anything.

Chris

Flex
12-21-2012, 11:58 PM
Chris,

Some of the guys at the TCCOA commented about light scatter in older headlights without a projector. What are your thoughts on that?

BLOWN38
12-22-2012, 12:21 AM
So one bulb for high and low beam for the newer cars? I prolly be in for a set maybe 2.

Flex
12-22-2012, 12:49 AM
Chris,

On the one bulb cars, a bi-xenon tilts the bulb with a motor so you have low and high beam.

BLOWN38
12-22-2012, 11:44 AM
Chris,

On the one bulb cars, a bi-xenon tilts the bulb with a motor so you have low and high beam.

Interesting, thanks.

Flex
01-03-2013, 03:23 AM
Well, I had to order a set before the 31st for one of my brother's cars as he needed it for a write off. It will still count towards the gp if we get enough people. I can post some before and after pictures once I get them installed.

XR7 Dave
01-03-2013, 09:10 AM
Hey, I want to get a couple sets but need to make sure what they can or will fit. I think my 01 Ram takes 9004 bulbs, and then I'd like some for my 90 XR7's. Can we order different bulbs on this deal?

mywhite89
01-03-2013, 09:58 AM
Chris,

Some of the guys at the TCCOA commented about light scatter in older headlights without a projector. What are your thoughts on that?

I havent seen any problem, mine light up the road really well and seem to light a pronounced rectangular beam against the wall pretty well. Im sure a projector would be better and keep the incoming traffic a little happier....I get bright-lighted every once in a while. The important thing I believe is to have clear headlamps.

Flex
01-03-2013, 01:44 PM
Hey, I want to get a couple sets but need to make sure what they can or will fit. I think my 01 Ram takes 9004 bulbs, and then I'd like some for my 90 XR7's. Can we order different bulbs on this deal?

David,

His pricing is the same for the same level kit, so it will not matter. The single beams are $129.99 and the bi-xenons are $139.99. The percentage reduction will come of the base price.

Your ram can use a bi-xenon kit as can the 94 up cars that came with a single bulb. Cars with dual head lamps like the 89-93 can stay with a single beam and do just the lows or both if they want.

Flex
01-03-2013, 01:52 PM
I havent seen any problem, mine light up the road really well and seem to light a pronounced rectangular beam against the wall pretty well. Im sure a projector would be better and keep the incoming traffic a little happier....I get bright-lighted every once in a while. The important thing I believe is to have clear headlamps.

Chris,

Good to hear. I know it is the oncoming driver that we have to worry about. Especially if you want to go with the 55W. Those who wish to can stay with 35W. I have asked for those who stated that they run hotter and can damage headlamps and he responded that all of his kits run at about the same temp.

I wish we had a clear lens headlight available for the 89-93. I want to retro some hid projectors into a set but I will have to come up with a way to remove the dispersion bars from the lens.

macius8
01-03-2013, 02:39 PM
I'm in for a set.

Flex
01-05-2013, 10:16 PM
Gentleman,

I need to know if you guys are in for sure, how many sets and for what bulb style. Thanks.

Flex
01-05-2013, 10:21 PM
If these will work on all my vehicles i will be in for at least 2 05 f150 and the 92 sc. I checked the compatabilty and it isnt showing compatable with my f150 sc or explorer sport trac?

Dave,

They are purchased by bulb style so I just need to know what bulb style you need. The 2005 will need what is called a canbus ballast.

BLOWN38
01-05-2013, 11:04 PM
I'm in for one set. If we get to 15 set price break I'll go for 2 sets.

XR7 Dave
01-06-2013, 12:11 PM
One set 9007 in 4300K.

I can't figure out if they actually offer a 9006 bulb for the 89 or not. I emailed but did not get any response.

Flex
01-06-2013, 01:34 PM
David,

Why would the year matter? It is my understanding that you just need to match the kit with the original equipment bulb style or whatever bulb your headlights use if they are aftermarket headlights.

The set I just purchased was matched to the aftermarket projector headlights for a 2000 mustang. The original bulb was a 9007 but the new headlights required an H1 I believe.

RalphP
01-06-2013, 02:07 PM
Flex - Probably because the Gen1 TBird used the 9005/9006 pair instead of the 9007 bulb. The "89 TBird" wasn't as important as the "9006", but the two are related.

RwP

RalphP
01-06-2013, 02:12 PM
One set 9007 in 4300K.

I can't figure out if they actually offer a 9006 bulb for the 89 or not. I emailed but did not get any response.

If not, you can try the HIR bulbs instead. Info on them at http://hirheadlights.com/ , but check Amazon and eBay for cheaper suppliers.

Also consider 9011's to replace the 9005 high beams.

BTW - Before you do EITHER, HIGHLY consider a well built relay harness for both sets of bulbs ... that and clear lenses do wonders for night vision, even with new stock 9005/9006 bulbs!

RwP

Flex
01-06-2013, 02:31 PM
If not, you can try the HIR bulbs instead. Info on them at http://hirheadlights.com/ , but check Amazon and eBay for cheaper suppliers.

Also consider 9011's to replace the 9005 high beams.

BTW - Before you do EITHER, HIGHLY consider a well built relay harness for both sets of bulbs ... that and clear lenses do wonders for night vision, even with new stock 9005/9006 bulbs!

RwP

There are no clear lenses available for the 89-93. I wish there was a set available.

HIR's are just another silverstar version. I have PIAA extreme white plus which are probably the brightest halogens available and they can't even come close to the light output of even a 35W hid. I have seen them side by side and they are easily two + times brighter.

On a two lamp system, you are supposed to change the low beams as they are most used if you can't do both.

RalphP
01-06-2013, 02:57 PM
There are no clear lenses available for the 89-93. I wish there was a set available.

HIR's are just another silverstar version. I have PIAA extreme white plus which are probably the brightest halogens available and they can't even come close to the light output of even a 35W hid. I have seen them side by side and they are easily two + times brighter.

On a two lamp system, you are supposed to change the low beams as they are most used if you can't do both.

Mayhaps I wasn't quite "clear" *grins* I mean "clear" as in "not white or foggy", not "clear" as in "with no refraction grill on the inside".

And, no, HIRs aren't. Although based on halogen technology, they're still not quite a standard halogen.

The MAIN advantage is, since they have a filament in the same location as a 9005/9006, the focal point is not altered so the light goes down the road, instead of just blatting across and blinding everyone on the road. Projectors cure that on HIDs, but a) they're more work, and b) you DO need "clear" as in non-refractive lenses (also as in not foggy) for HIDs to do much good. More work for better output.

HIRs take no redoing of the reflectors (which don't work worth crap with HIDs due to the arc being longitudinal instead of traverse) in the Gen1's. Therefore, they're a good first-step. Plus, they last as long as standard halogens - a big plus on some cars! (It's not that hard to change bulbs on the MN12s, so that's not a big point on our cars.)

The wonderful thing is - there's ways to get more light for ALL of us! I was just pointing out an alternative.

Doing a full projector retrofit, polishing the inside of the lens to get the refraction points out, and careful aiming of bi-xenon bulbs is the better way to do it, yes. Consider the price of all of that compared to a HIR, and the HIR is a more practical approach for some people.

Plus, and here's a BIG plus - it avoids the idiocy of blinding people in city driving and while passing on country roads that is a bad byproduct of "Let's just slap these non-focused HID bulbs in here and call it good!" so-called "upgrades". Always a consideration.

Then again, I'm HIR low / HID high, without projectors yet on the highs, on Grand Marquis clear headlamps on the Cougar. YMMV of course. Interesting point is, with the extra light on the road on high beam, I don't see any FURTHER down the road - which is a bit more important than just the QUANTITY of light on the road, don't you think?

RwP

XR7 Dave
01-06-2013, 03:35 PM
I'm not worried about the lenses. I understand that the diffused lens on the 89 will reduce the effectiveness of the HID, but I've experienced a number of 89's with HID and the results are still nonetheless impressive.

The main question is if the 9006 bulb (low beam) is available as a kit that will work on the 89. I know other companies have made them, but I can't find them in this company's store. They have a 9006 listed for a Canbus application, but none for a retro like ours. I emailed but did not receive a response.

Yes, I also understand about non-yellowed lenses. All my vehicles have new lenses. ;) I consider it mandatory to replace them when they start to fade.

BLOWN38
01-06-2013, 03:57 PM
I'm not worried about the lenses. I understand that the diffused lens on the 89 will reduce the effectiveness of the HID, but I've experienced a number of 89's with HID and the results are still nonetheless impressive.

The main question is if the 9006 bulb (low beam) is available as a kit that will work on the 89. I know other companies have made them, but I can't find them in this company's store. They have a 9006 listed for a Canbus application, but none for a retro like ours. I emailed but did not receive a response.

Yes, I also understand about non-yellowed lenses. All my vehicles have new lenses. ;) I consider it mandatory to replace them when they start to fade.

Its not this one? http://www.ebay.com/itm/9006-XENON-LIGHTS-HID-CONVERSION-KIT-SLIM-55W-6000K-/330717656182?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item4d004ef476

XR7 Dave
01-06-2013, 05:01 PM
Its not this one? http://www.ebay.com/itm/9006-XENON-LIGHTS-HID-CONVERSION-KIT-SLIM-55W-6000K-/330717656182?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item4d004ef476

Ok well I'm retarded. :rolleyes:

So when is this group buy ending again?

nanatothesixth
01-06-2013, 09:45 PM
i did some playing around a while back, and found that the1996,1997 i beleive mercury grand marquis headlight assy. fit the early year birds, with a little room on the front center area by the hood.

92sclikenew
01-07-2013, 07:13 PM

im also wondering the same

and wondering how many people are already in on this?

i need a set for my 92. assume same dave needs.

Flex
01-07-2013, 07:45 PM
i did some playing around a while back, and found that the1996,1997 i beleive mercury grand marquis headlight assy. fit the early year birds, with a little room on the front center area by the hood.

Did you actually install them? Are they clear lenses?

Flex
01-07-2013, 08:04 PM

David,

I don't believe anyone on this site would think that.

When it ends depends on what we wish to pay.

Originally, I though we had more sets based on the number of sets some of you initially said you wished to purchase.

1.) Me - 4 sets (1 already purchased came today)
2.) My friend - 2 - now not sure as his boss gave him PIAA's for free - in Phoenix for 10 days so I can't confirm.
2.) Davec73 - 2 or 3 - has not confirmed any yet
3.) Chris (blown38) - 1 or 2 - 1 set
4.) David D - 3 sets - 1 set
5.) Macius - 1 set
6.) 92sclikenew - 1 set

If everyone purchased their initial max, we would be past 15 already and at the biggest price break. With the revised amounts, we are currently at 8 depending on what Dave Clark wants to do.

Flex
01-07-2013, 08:11 PM
Realizing that some of us will not need or want Bi-Xenons, I have redone the price chart to reflect a mono beam bulb as well. I will post some pictures of the charts shortly.

Bi-Xenon (high/low beam)

Xenon (one beam only)

At 5 sets or 25% off the price is $95.99

At 10 sets or 35% off the price would be $83.19

At 15 sets or 40% off the price would be $76.94

Any bulb style is possible with the price reflective of that bulb. Look at his store to check for bulb

http://stores.ebay.com/HidKitXenonStore/HID-CONVERSON-KITS-BULB-SIZE-/_i.html?_fsub=1848122014&_sid=864030714&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322

Newer vehicles require the Canbus ballast which costs $10 more. So far, only the 2005 Ford F150 will need it.

These are shipped prices.

Flex
01-07-2013, 09:04 PM
Available bulb and color chart.

Flex
01-07-2013, 09:11 PM
Bulb styles.

nanatothesixth
01-07-2013, 10:00 PM
i put them in a header panel that is out of the car, i had to trim the little divider piece that the back of the headlight assy. rests against. but other then that they clip right up where the stockers do. But i have never got around to putting them in my car, and yes they are clear with a couple of lines that run across them, and they have a heat tube to let out heat. but if you get some also grab the headlight sockets, because ours don't fit exact, and they are a different bulb.

Flex
01-07-2013, 10:07 PM
Post some pictures bro. I don't car that they are not on the car. Just in the header panel is cool.

BLOWN38
01-08-2013, 12:28 AM
Post some pictures bro. I don't car that they are not on the car. Just in the header panel is cool.

Maybe RalphP will post pics he says he is using them too.

Flex
01-08-2013, 12:49 AM
Good call Chris, I missed that.

RalphP
01-08-2013, 12:56 AM
I'm using them on the Cougar - dunno about the Tbird grill.

There is some mod to the header panel.

Also, I had to add a 9007 to 9005/9006 wiring harness - I built it up out of the relay harnesses I bought and a couple of the 9007 High Heat Extensions that are sold *grins*

Let's see if I have a pic ...

Not of Ruby, but here's another one (the one that inspired me to!) from the TCCoA gallery: http://forums.tccoa.com/vbpicgallery.php?do=big&p=4313

It's 1995 to 1997 Grand Marquis for the Cougars. Minor mod to the header panel (open up both holes behind the headlights, remove the divider that was between the headlight and the inside turn signal, and Bob's yer uncle for fit). Helps to use 96-97 corner lights, so they fit and look the same.

A 1989-1990 Cougar or Gen1 TBird headlight wiring harness should just fit and work, but I haven't checked the actual connection to the body harness. I don't think they're different, since the body harness for a LX and a LS are the same there ...

RwP

Flex
01-08-2013, 01:05 AM
Thanks Ralph, that's a good picture. I could go one step further and use a set of those for my projector conversion.

RalphP
01-08-2013, 01:07 AM
Yah, XR7-4.6's car is a LOT prettier than Ruby anyway :D

RwP

decipha
01-08-2013, 01:09 AM
nice that looks excellent

Flex
02-16-2013, 09:55 PM
is this the single low beam set or is it high and low beam? I may be in for a couple sets depending on the price if its good enough maybe 3

Dave,

Care to weigh in on this and let us know if you are still in for two or three sets? I picked up another member from another board so that makes 9 confirmed.

90MN12
02-16-2013, 11:11 PM
Can I jump in this?

Flex
02-17-2013, 04:10 AM
Yes you can. How many are you after?

90MN12
02-17-2013, 04:50 AM
Just need one.

davec73
02-27-2013, 08:43 PM
Dave,

Care to weigh in on this and let us know if you are still in for two or three sets? I picked up another member from another board so that makes 9 confirmed.

I just need the set for my tbird my f150 has silverstars and blinds the crap out of people already, sport track has low beam 8000s so red bird is all thats left lol I would like them for the headlights and fogs if that is an option?

Flex
03-07-2013, 05:16 PM
The thread has been updated to show who is currently on the list. I will most likely know what Josh Kessler wants to do today. If he is in for two sets, we are at 13 and two away from the required 15 for the full price break.

dinglefro
03-22-2013, 01:25 AM
I'll take a pair if you are still searching for buyers

Thanks,
Chris

Flex
03-22-2013, 02:21 AM
Yeah brotha, we need a few good men. I'll add you to the list. 2
to go and we can make it fly.

Flex
03-22-2013, 02:32 AM
My buddy Josh lives in Toledo (jkessler).

dinglefro
03-22-2013, 07:05 PM
Really? I've probably seen his car....what color is it?

Flex
03-23-2013, 12:08 PM
It's not a supercoupe. It's a1996 ragtop Mustang that has been converted to the sc from a supercoupe. David Dalke tuned it for him.

dinglefro
03-23-2013, 03:04 PM
Ahhh I see. I don't think I've seen him then. If he goes out on the weekends around town then maybe ill run into him this summer.

Crash00527
04-06-2013, 10:39 PM
I tried a set of bi- xenons last year from another company. I ended up returning them because the caused my high beam indicator light to stay on. They weren't even real hi/lo, the just flickered VERY lightly.

kpatton
10-16-2013, 09:37 PM
Guys.. whats the results of this?

good, ( do it again ) ?

Flex
10-16-2013, 11:14 PM
Every body wanted maximum discount to buy and we were one short.

1qwik99
02-22-2014, 01:48 PM
Hi all,

I have read the threads on the Xenon HID's and have a question about the Xenon low and Halogen High beams. I am considering this kit from Amazon.com

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004ZF3DIW/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3GVO71WDMGEMM

I'm also going to get the relay wiring and the anti flicker modules. Not sure if I need them or not with my 95 SC which takes 9007 bulbs, I believe. Can anyone chime in on this?

Thanks