"Blown fuse" issues, dead power brakes -- YOUR THOUGHTS PLEASE?

tweedybird

My '91 auto just went on the fritz while driving on the highway. The behavior seemed like a blown fuse at first, but as I explored the issue I found some quirks and could really use some help getting my head around what is wrong and where to go from here.

So I'm driving and I notice the temperature light on the climate control unit out. Then I realize the heater blower fan is out too. Then I look up and notice the oil/fluid lights are out too. Then my turn signals. This, to me, screamed blown fuse so I didn't think much about it.

A couple minutes later, the ABS and brake lights come on. I figure the ABS system was affected by the failure and, again, don't think much of it. Then I had to use my brakes and found they had no power (as opposed to just no ABS), so I realize there's something more going on and get off the highway.

I open the fuse box and find a 30A fuse in the "turn signal" location where a 10A should be and a jumper wire running between it and the 15A "radio" fuse. However, the jumper wire is broken. I take it out, along with the 30A fuse and find that the fuse is intact. At this point, I am puzzled and realize whatever happened probably has more to do with the jumper rigging. I confirm this by checking/replacing all the fuses back to proper spec with the jumper removed and nothing changes.

In the morning, I may try to put the 30A back in with a fresh jumper to see if this sorts out whatever's going on for the short term at least. In the mean time, can I get some thoughts from the community please? Most specifically, what do you think whoever was trying to do with the 30A fuse and jumper? What could possibly cause the power brakes to go when this seems to be an electrical issue?

Thanks in advance everyone.

Update: replaced the jumper and all is well. Looks like they were trying to go around a short or some poor wire instead of fixing it. Any thoughts about fixing the issue the right way appreciated.

I feel your pain

I had the same problem on my 89. Had no power brakes info box didnt light up and the heater fan wouldnt turn on. I have been told that its my ignition switch. Havent had time to fix it but sometimes eveything will just start working again out of nowhere. So hope this helps and good luck. Thats kind of messed up someone would put a jumper wire in that fuse like that. Scary stuff.

I had the same problem on my 89. Had no power brakes info box didnt light up and the heater fan wouldnt turn on. I have been told that its my ignition switch. Havent had time to fix it but sometimes eveything will just start working again out of nowhere. So hope this helps and good luck. Thats kind of messed up someone would put a jumper wire in that fuse like that. Scary stuff.
Until you can get the right part, take the steering column cover off and wrap a long zip tie around the switch to tighten it up. Should fix your problems. :cool:

Back