10% OD question

vaprobe87

What all really needs to be done before running a 10% od?

The car is a 1989 SC 5 speed and is pretty much stock except for a cold air intake and a intercooler fan.

I know I will need to get the exhaust opened up before installing the pulley. I plan on getting that done as soon as cash flow allows but want to make sure I dont miss anything that could possibly hurt my car as it is my daily driver for now.

An early style blower (found on 89-93 SC's) doesnt have an efficient inlet into the supercharger, and as a result they are prone to building up tons of heat when Overdriven, especially 10% with a stock IC. Your best bet would be to hold off on the pulley, do the exhaust, and try and find a late model blower (94-95 SC's came with these, it was a redesigned rectangular inlet), port said blower, and experience the performance gains from that. This would be your safest option, especially if the car is used every day.

No sense in overdriving an early model supercharger that much, it will hurt more then make power due to excessive heat and inefficiency.

Ok, thats what i was afraid of.. I guess I'll just have to try to save up and get a newer blower.

Beside exhaust, are there any cheap way to pick up a little more power? Trying to modify something on a very limited budget sucks :(

some of the cheaper mods are remove air silencer, cold air intake kit, larger Mass Air Flow sensor, larger throttle body, a 5% pulley would be ok for you, a double intercooler or a front mount kit (MP is $$$$) so look on ebay and make it yourself. You can get a late model blower for $300-400 with inlet. An MP inlet makes even more power but thats an additional $550. Exhaust kits are cheap too, I got my flowmaster system from Jegs for under $300.

If you get a late model blower, you will need larger injectors since your 30's will be inadequate. You'd need at least 42's but might as well go 60's so you have room. The 42's can work with new MAF and a sampling tube to get the car driveable and close. The 60's will require a larger MAF and a custom tune as there is no sampling tube for them.

I guess it all depends on your end goal, if you try to build power in stages you will end up spending money over and over on the same parts only larger. Or do like I do, get the parts needed for a specific goal, stockpile them, and when you are ready transform your car into a monster.

the most cost effective way to get more power from your combo is ditch your cats or get high flows, a "catback" exhaust system, a 5% SC pulley, and probably a double intercooler. That would really wake your car up using the supercharger and injectors you already have.

Gears really wake the car up, but I'd probably stick with the 2.73's if you plan to make power since they are nice long gears and you actually get a 1st gear that you can use. My 3.27's made the car feel faster but 1st is useless it just spins the tires once I get into boost. It was cool for a few days, but spinnin' ain't winnin'.

You can run 10% od on an early style blower if you got a front mount inter-cooler. I went faster with 10% od than 5% od on my early model blower when I had a front mount inter-cooler.

a front mount would be sufficient, possibly a double, but with a stock IC at 10% generates way to much heat from the inefficient supercharger and inlet design.

Did you have an MP front mount or a custom made kit?

Upgraded cooling would work, but then again, you're spending money to just bandage what you already know will be the problem (the blower).Instead of spending 330 on a DIC or 1200 on a FMIC, you're better off taking the 330, finding a good used ported late model, and swapping. From what i've been told, a ported late model with a stock pulley will outperform an early model with a 10% due to efficiency alone.

a front mount would be sufficient, possibly a double, but with a stock IC at 10% generates way to much heat from the inefficient supercharger and inlet design.

Did you have an MP front mount or a custom made kit?

My buddy made me a custom front mount. I wish I had the money at the time to buy an Magnum Powers FMIC kit though.

Back