help identify left-over/extra bolts

zx28

My car is a 93 sc that has fallen victim to the hg issue common to these cars.

It's funny how car manufacturers put extra bolts into the vehicles. It seems everytime i re-build one, I find all the extras once I get it put back together :)

This may be a long shot, but I have just done a hg replacement and i have installed everything I have with no extra brackets or parts laying around other than these 4 bolts. For the life of me, I can not figure out where they go. I have dug around the engine bay for hours to see if I can find the empty holes, but to no avail. Maybe some of you guys who have done several of these rebuilds will be able to identify where these bolts go. Or if someone knows where I can find an exploded diagram of the engine showing some bolts, that would be handy too.

Attachments

• 100_0542.jpg
    100_0542.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 111
Last edited:
The ones on the left look like the egr to inlet bolts but you should only need two of them. But they could also be the ones that secure the tb to the air box though i thought they were gold in color. The right one looks like the bolt that secures the lower inter cooler tube to the bracket on the block. It also looks similar to the one that's used for the alternator. Knowing if it requires a 13mm or 14mm socket would help identify them.

Did you install any aftermarket parts?

Are they 8mm? Look like hood hinge bolts too. A picture with ambient light no flash might help.

Last edited:
I agree.....

The larger washer on the three bolts leads me to believe that they are some sort of body panel bolts....

The friction lock washer and the discoloration leads me to believe that the far right bolt goes on an exhaust manifold....

Presuming your not completely together the 3 on the left may be the return plenum and the right as mentioned looks like exhaust.

Paul

The 8mm bolt looks like exhaust bolt. The 6mm could be used for bolting the oil cooler pipe to the oil pan or for the balancer cover.

I agree.

Those three go on a body part and the other one looks like an exhaust manifold bolt

In response to the 3 looking like return plenum (intercooler return tube) bolts, I believe those are shoulder bolts not washers. It would be good if you could post lengths and diameters. The other option is that you have headers on your car and all the bolts are exhaust header bolts. The bolts in the header kit I have look just like those.

they look like body bolts but...

I went out the car this morning and suprisingly enough the three bolts look just like fender mounting bolts. With that said I haven't removed any body panels, I am pretty sure all of the exhaust manifold bolts are in, all of the parts i can think of are in except the intake tube from the tb to the air filter. I will have to check the egr thing. I is raining like crazy here and I do not want to play outside in the rain today.

Car is bone stock, no aftermarket parts. Smaller headed bolts use 10mm socket and are 1.75" long...the larger uses 13mm and is 1.5" long.They look to be the same thread.

Thanks to all of you for your timely and helpful responses. I will try to dig through and check things as you guys suggest possibilities. Thanks again

Attachments

• 100_0544.jpg
    100_0544.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 58
  • 100_0545.jpg
    100_0545.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 64
In response to the 3 looking like return plenum (intercooler return tube) bolts, I believe those are shoulder bolts not washers. It would be good if you could post lengths and diameters. The other option is that you have headers on your car and all the bolts are exhaust header bolts. The bolts in the header kit I have look just like those.

I agree

I was thinking the shouldered had been plugged in somewhere else.

Can't think of any body panels involved in a HG job.

Paul

The 13mm headed bolt most definitely is an exhaust manifold bolt. That is not open to question. 100% sure there. You may have substituted a non exhaust bolt in a manifold by mistake.

The others, if you look closely you will see that one is shorter than the other two. The longer two look like bolts that hold the radiator to the rad support, and the shorter one looks to me like the bolt that holds the lower IC tube to the bracket hidden behind the power steering pump.

Last 2 posts...

...I agree.
When I get into a big job like this I have several cans that I label. Such as Valve cover and intake manifold, Radiator and IC and IC tube, exhaust, accessory.
It helps me a lot.

wow

Whats holding your radiator to the frame? ;) and whats holding the intercooler duct to the intercooler?

Sir I must say a few things regarding your post...You have either been at my house watching me...You have rebuilt too many of these things... You have recently taken your radiator or intercooler off...Or you are just that good!

So full story...Dad and I are tag teaming this thing on our respective times off. Turns out the radiator that is sitting in place ( resting on frame not bolted up top) is actually out of our 94 model sc that has sadly become a doner car due to its disagreement with a ditch. That bracket is ever so slightly different which would explain why I couldnt see an obvious place for at least 2 bolts at either end of the radiator support. Turns out they thread right into the holes in the radiator support :). The rubber spacer must be missing as of right now which would explain the lengthy bolts. Now that still leaves my exhaust manifold looking bolt...Pops is the one that installed the manifold and he swears that he got all of them in. We shall see. If the garage would dry up some I will crawl around under the car to see if I can locate the homes for the other two.

With all that said, I think it is pretty remarkable how much some of you guys love your cars....or you just fix head gaskets too often :D.... I can't believe I posted a pic of 4 random bolts and you intelligent folks could give a pretty narrow ball park of where they should be!

Thanks again guys...this afternoon I will try to locate the empty hole for the exhaust manifold looking bolt.

I will most definately label all bolts next time. I kept them all in a can on either side of the car, just not in an organized fashion...haste makes waste i reckon.

Sir I must say a few things regarding your post...You have either been at my house watching me...You have rebuilt too many of these things... You have recently taken your radiator or intercooler off...Or you are just that good!
LOL.. I sometimes tell people that I believe I've had every single part of the car off at sometime or another.

I can't believe I posted a pic of 4 random bolts and you intelligent folks could give a pretty narrow ball park of where they should be!
Pretty amusing, isn't it. Most of my knowledge was gained here over many years and through 2 restoration projects. Glad to help out. :cool:

Back