Yes I've searched. Piston?

fasttruck93l

Are stockers forged or hypereutectic? Call me an idiot for asking but, with a stock boosted application, I would have thought that ford would have used forged.

You left out the cheapest option - plain cast aluminum. They are hypereutectic. Better than plain cast, but not as good as forged. But they have advantages over forged - like less expansion, letting you run tighter clearances.

They are cheaper also. The forged will depend on what compression and bore you are running. The last time I bought a forged set I got them from Diamond and I think Wiseco has them as well for our cars.

You left out the cheapest option - plain cast aluminum. They are hypereutectic. Better than plain cast, but not as good as forged. But they have advantages over forged - like less expansion, letting you run tighter clearances.

I hoped that they weren't cast. I knew ford ran hypereutectic around then but didn't know if they did something special for boost or not. Thanks for the quick responses and not calling me a retard. Just needed to know how conservative I needed to be about full throttle runs and detonation. I know that this cold weather can sure mess with air fuel ratio.

they did do something special for the boosted motor. Forged crankshaft, though they were working on a cast crank using a new process that was stronger than normal cast cranks of the time. Couldn't get enough yield so they went with forged for production (though some "duracast" crank cars did make it onto the street)

hypereutectic pistons are plenty strong for what Ford was planning, and if built right and detonation is managed properly the do pretty good on higher performance motors as well. Biggest problem is their failure mode. When they fail, they break in to pieces that travel around and damage more stuff. When forged pistons fail, they typically deform and don't send shrapnel all over the place.

Back