Power steering hose adapter

jclars

Hi All,

I am the yeahoo (as opposed to yahoo) putting the SC 3.8L in the 56 F100. Although I used the t-bird drive train engine to rear, I used a 1979 Jag front suspension for ease of fit.

I am now faced with adapting the Jag rack hoses (they are also the correct length) to the Ford PS pump. I have seen adapters to convert the newer o-ring outlet to a flared fitting, especially for the GM products. (The Jag uses a GM PS system.)

Does anyone have the size of the o-ring and threaded fitting at that port? This may allow me to find a common GM adapter that will work.

Any ideas on adapting would also be appreciated.

Thanks as usual!

John L.

Check out Speedway motors, they have fittings to use AN hoses/ends for street rodders. May have to make up hoses out of braided steel lines, but would allow for great easy custom fit (I like the look too). Also watch out for the nasty things Ford did with pumps/racks, some are standard, some are metric (on BOTH, or EITHER end!).

Adam

PS
I have been lurking on the build threads you have posted, I ve got a more or less stock 56. Really cool and good work. I also am working on putting the independant under a 93 Flareside, and have rengineered my plan based on the way you did yours. I had cut the front "arms" of the subframe and was going to shorten them and swap them left to right and flipped upside down to reach up to the frame and weld back together. The box tube frame bracket you did looks a whole bunch simpler, I just didn't like how low the front of the sub sat on mine and didn't think it would work.

Last edited:
Thanks Adam,

In the interim I have had online discussions with a Speedway tech. It appears they may have one that works, but I am uncertain of the t-bird sizes used. Like you say, it could well have a metric o-ring stem and a AN threaded fitting. May just have to spend the $25 for a fitting to see if it works.

BTW - if it is the rear adapter you are talking about, I cant take credit for it. At $400, it is the single biggest price tag item I have put into this project as yet. But it was nice to have a proven product. It also included the shock gusset brackets, and the top plates include air bag mounting holes. Check it out:

http://team321.com/truckirs/truckirs.html

Thanks for the compliments and tips!

John L.

Back