Threw my jackshaft pulley

Tim Groth

SCCoA Member
Can I claim first on this one, guess the bearings were worse than I thought. WOT acceleration was followed shortly with a somber silence a battery light and stiff steering.

Pulley took out all 3 belts, and the pulley was laying with the shaft attached on the k-member.

I'll post some pictures here shortly, just wondering if this has happened to anyone else.

-Tim

Well this is defininetely the FIRST time that I have heard anything like that. I am hoping there was not physical damager to any other pulleys.

Hope once it is replaced everything is well. Oh yeah share pics :)

Can I claim first on this one, guess the bearings were worse than I thought. WOT acceleration was followed shortly with a somber silence a battery light and stiff steering.

Pulley took out all 3 belts, and the pulley was laying with the shaft attached on the k-member.

I'll post some pictures here shortly, just wondering if this has happened to anyone else.

-Tim

It's probably a product of center median hopping in Kentucky.............:eek::p

Never heard of that. Do they make bearings for that or do you have to swap an accessory bracket?

I recall when my balancer broke and flew off the crank with the pulley attached, took out my serp belt, and left me on the side of the highway in another state. The pulley and balancer were laying on the sway bar. Talk about an expensive tow bill.... Cost more to tow it than it did to put a BHJ w/ underdrives on the motor.

I had two jackshaft bearings go in about four months. The original one went, I purchased a used bracket with bearing from a SCCoA member. About four months later that one seized up shearing off the four bolts holding the aluminum jackshaft pulley. For a second I though the car threw a rod. The pulley was ruined and it took out all the belts. The pulley looked like road kill on the street.

Purchased another used bracket with bearing, belts and pulley from Spinning Wheels. (Thanks Victor!)

I've read some threads that say ESM service.. now High Speed Lab can replace jackshaft bearings.

Eddie
'90 5-speed SC, modified
'90 automatic SC, stock

Last edited:
I'll post up some pictures tomorrow - after breaking my screen at the Shootout in the drunkeness of Flip Cup. I bought $60 worth of parts and watched a 13 min youtube video...fixed it but now no camera and no vibrate lol...guess I left something loose...highly modified is how I like to refer to it.

Anyways, I'll use my womans phone tomorrow to capture this amazing wonder. :D

She was actually next to me when this event took place ...she took my jackshaft belt to the girll of her PT Cruiser haha :p

-Tim

A similar thing happened to us recently, not on my SC, but on the 96 F-150 I had.

My son was driving down to Georgia through southern Indiana on I-65. He heard a loud clunk, and saw a part bouncing down the road behind him. All the warning lights came on, and he lost power steering, so he pulled over right away. The trooper who stopped behind him didn't see anything wrong under the hood :confused:, so I had to pay $200 to have him towed to the nearest garage, which was already closed.

I drove 4 hours to rescue him, and when I popped the hood, this is what I saw - the bolt for the idler pulley was still there, but no idler pulley :eek:

Luckily the belt lodged behind the bracket, and didn't shred. I'm glad the shop was closed when it was towed in, because I was able to replace the pulley in 5 minutes in their parking lot, and not have to pay the shop to do it.

I feel your pain, though...

tow bill - $200
gas to go help him - $75
tools I didn't bring with - $80
hotel room - $130

all for a $10 part :rolleyes:

Attachments

• nopulley.jpg
    nopulley.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 352
Last edited:
Good pictures Mike. My end resusts look similar to the photo in this post http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showpost.php?p=234640&postcount=3 . Guess it's good to know the groves in the shaft were supposed to be there and weren't cut from the failed bearing. The casing must still be in the bracket...I haven't had the time to really inspect things as it happened at night, and I've learned over my years of owning SC's its better to just laugh it off and walk away instead of getting worked up and upset.

Tomorrow I plan to swap the JS Bracket with one from my other SC and then get things to the machine shop here locally to see if something can be done to repair it locally.

-Tim

I think the easiest way to fix a failed jackshaft bearing might be to put the shaft in a lathe and take it down to the nearest size that matches with a standard bearing of the appropriate OD. The only thing you might lack then would be a feature that positively retains the shaft in the bearings ... since the stock shaft is retained by the grooves (raceways) for the ball bearings. You might be able to add a sturdy c-clip on the back end of the shaft and be okay.

Buy I am sure ESM has it figured out... I suppose that sending it to them would be the real easiest way.

Back