Whipple 1.6?

90tbirdsc

Hey guys I was wondering how hard/expensive it would be to put a whipple 1.6 on my SC? I can buy one for $100 but it needs new rotors and bearings. Any help is appreciated.

Hey guys I was wondering how hard/expensive it would be to put a whipple 1.6 on my SC? I can buy one for $100 but it needs new rotors and bearings. Any help is appreciated.

It would be about the size as the M90. It would be an improvement over the M90 performance wise. For the cost of rebuilding the blower, I assume the case is good, I dont think you will be happy with the cost of having it setup and added in the cost of the rebuild. A MPX would be the most bang for the buck compared to a smallish Whipple. A lot less work

Ken

It would be about the size as the M90. It would be an improvement over the M90 performance wise. For the cost of rebuilding the blower, I assume the case is good, I dont think you will be happy with the cost of having it setup and added in the cost of the rebuild. A MPX would be the most bang for the buck compared to a smallish Whipple. A lot less work

Ken

Agree with Ken.

How much $$$$ are we talking? Read about a guy that made 383whp and 503rwtq at 14psi with stock heads using a 1.6 on a sc.

If you can't do it yourself you would need to find somebody to do alot of custom fabrication for you. Inlet and discharge plenums, intake adapter, fuel rails, mounting provisions for the blower, IC tubes, on and on........

Alot of work.

By the time you rebuild the blower, buy the needed parts and pay someone to fabricate everything you need to run it, my guess is 3500 to 4000. You can buy a new 2.3 Whipple and have it setup for 4500 if you can find someone qualified to do it and they have any spare time with other projects. Or just keep your eye on the parts forum. Sometimes a 1.7 AR setup for an SC will pop up. They are a great deal.

Ken

How much $$$$ are we talking? Read about a guy that made 383whp and 503rwtq at 14psi with stock heads using a 1.6 on a sc.

You are talking at least 800 for a rebuild and thats on the lesser side depending on what it needs. Get in touch with Jon at Jon Bond performance he can give you actual prices and the fab part to make it work you would need to contact Dave Dalke.

I can do all the fab work but for the $$$ and time I'd rather do a turbo or compound boost setup.
You think this is expensive a compound boost setup would be a real dream crusher not to mention the guys that do know how to tune these cars well would prob struggle tuning one lol. My buddy is twin charging his GTP right now and it has been a complete nightmare and it has a fairly user friendly tuning program fro HP tuners and a newer computer. Good luck with whatever you decide im sure it will scream!!

The compound boost setup was a stretch lol, I just don't understand why we are so far behind the import guys and even the terminator cobra guys? What is holding us back? Limited aftermarket support?

The compound boost setup was a stretch lol, I just don't understand why we are so far behind the import guys and even the terminator cobra guys? What is holding us back? Limited aftermarket support?

I'm not sure what you mean by "behind". There are turbo guys out there making big power if that's what you want. If you want a turbo kit that's not total crap, you still have to make it yourself or buy something new like a 2013 Boss, lol. I've seen so many total garbage 4.6L turbo kits I don't even want to talk about it.

Import guys don't have anything on us really. Heck, they are just now finding ways to put an M90 on Honda's.

As for the 1.6L Whipple, it would work fine, but you'll have to make your own parts for it and the rebuild will cost $800 or so as was mentioned above.

Compound boost is only as big of a problem as you make it. Tuning is simple.

And for the rest of you who keep tossing my name around - I'm not building anyone a 1.6L Whipple kit. lol

I'm not sure what you mean by "behind". There are turbo guys out there making big power if that's what you want. If you want a turbo kit that's not total crap, you still have to make it yourself or buy something new like a 2013 Boss, lol. I've seen so many total garbage 4.6L turbo kits I don't even want to talk about it.

Import guys don't have anything on us really. Heck, they are just now finding ways to put an M90 on Honda's.

As for the 1.6L Whipple, it would work fine, but you'll have to make your own parts for it and the rebuild will cost $800 or so as was mentioned above.

Compound boost is only as big of a problem as you make it. Tuning is simple.

And for the rest of you who keep tossing my name around - I'm not building anyone a 1.6L Whipple kit. lol
Sorry I thought you where the man to go to for Kenne Bells and whipples for these cars Dave, my mistake.

By the time you rebuild the blower, buy the needed parts and pay someone to fabricate everything you need to run it, my guess is 3500 to 4000. You can buy a new 2.3 Whipple and have it setup for 4500 if you can find someone qualified to do it and they have any spare time with other projects. Or just keep your eye on the parts forum. Sometimes a 1.7 AR setup for an SC will pop up. They are a great deal.

Ken

Probably his best bet actually. :p

Ira

Behind imports? Throw enough boost on any motor and it will make power..Keeping it together takes money. That whipple may get you where you want to be with a motor completely done up. Youre talking big $$$$$ between getting whipple on there and getting motor to make the power you expect.

Better off buying a turbo

Sorry I thought you where the man to go to for Kenne Bells and whipples for these cars Dave, my mistake.

Ok, well I guess you would be willing to trade your new shortblock for the opportunity for someone else to get a 1.6L Whipple. ;)

Seriously though, my time is too valuable at the moment for me to make a 1.6L kit for anyone. Someone wanting a 3.4L might pique my interest though. :eek:

Ok, well I guess you would be willing to trade your new shortblock for the opportunity for someone else to get a 1.6L Whipple. ;)

Seriously though, my time is too valuable at the moment for me to make a 1.6L kit for anyone. Someone wanting a 3.4L might pique my interest though. :eek:
Nope c u on the 17th with two short blocks. Maybe when my mpx let's me down in ashtabula we can talk about something that will peak your interest, something different with more than 3 lobes on the rotors
:D

Back