SWB conversion 007- what color

jludorf

So I am going ahead with the SWB conversion of one of my parts cars. The car started life as a black 94 automatic. The plan it to modify the front of the car to look like an 89-93. I need to order a hood as I want a fibreglass hood for this car but I have not picked the style yet. Where I am getting stuck is what color should I paint the car. My preference is blue but with my 94 being blue I want it to be different.

My thought at present is to paint the car Black Cherry ( My wife suggested it actually so I should give her credit). It is a color from 1968 and I used to have a 68 cougar that was the same color. It also kinda goes with the 007 as Bond has a 1969 black cherry car in one of his movies. I am just not sure what it will look like on this car. My other choices are dark blue with a charcoal grey lower section or the Iroc blue from the late 80s Camaro.

I have attached pictures of my 68 cougar that shows the color I am thinking of.

I have to get the car dug out of the snow soon so I can get it ready for the journey in late January/ early February.

Drivetrain, cage etc still need to be sorted out but I expect this to take me a few years to complete with the other projects on the go.

:D

Attachments

• 1463DSCF0003a.jpg
    1463DSCF0003a.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 311
  • 1463DSCF0030a.jpg
    1463DSCF0030a.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 296
  • 1463DSCF0035a1.jpg
    1463DSCF0035a1.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 279
I'm not a fan of the black cherry color for the SWB bird. The SWB MarkVIII they did was a similar color, and I didn't really like the way it looked on that one. The IROC Camaro blue might be nice. One of my favorite blues is actually a color that is on the Chevy Suburbans called Bermuda Blue. I think that would look cool on a SWB bird.

Id keep the later model front end as all the SWB cars ive seen are early model. And GM has some nice deep metallic burgandy wine type colors you may like.

Volkswagen put a really nice metalic blue on the Scirroco in the late 70's. I had my old bug painted that colour and it looked great. Especially in the sun. I remain a fan of black on the bird though.
Alan

I would stay away from classic car colors, that cougar looks good but it dates it back to its time period.

porsche_996_burgundy_hyper_silver_rpk-038_wheels.jpg

George Davenport's SWB has the late model front end with a modified Mach 1 style hood and is dark blue.

Attachments

• SWB218sm.jpg
    SWB218sm.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 245
  • scpioh2001.jpg
    scpioh2001.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 319
The previous owner had the car painted a light Mazda blue and the painted over all the trim so it will need an entire paint job either way otherwise it would Lilly still be driven. The painter messed up the car completely. The reason I did not go with the early model dark blue is that one has already been painted that color.

I like the color of that porche I am just not certain the thunderbird can pull off that color. I need to start playing on photoshop

I would keep it the original color (black).

David

My opinion, for what that is worth, is that the SC has a nice overall body line but it's curves are boring. With the fact that the car has minimal curvature in the body, a color that has a lot of highlight is not going to come off well (as opposed to the Porsche above). Look for a color that looks good at any angle and in any light. Colors with subtle hues do not work that well on the SC, IMO.

Whatever color, it should be bold.

Black is fine. Yellow is badass too.

A bright blue is nice, but since there are already 2 blue SWB's, and you already have a vibrant blue SC, that's kind of played out.

I think what your doing is really cool John! Since you are going this far with it and you have kind of an open palet, I had a 99 explorer limited that was a really dark metallic blue that looked almost black but depending on the light it looked blue. It was called Deep wedgewood clearcoat mettalic but like you said you have one blue car. I myself would paint it some veriaty of black but thats me, nothing looks better than a black car when its clean in my opinion!

How about this color for an SC? That is what I have been thinking.

Attachments

• Eleanor%20001th.jpg
    Eleanor%20001th.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 318
I was thinking about painting my titanium SC either Blue Lagoon Metallic (VW):

photo.php

or Nogaro Blue (Audi):

dscf0242.jpg

They are both nice colors.

Also VW Indigo Blue is a nice darker blue:

images

And Pontiac had Impulse Blue on the GTO that looks awesome!

picture20581wv8.jpg

And Audi Sprint Blue is sweet too:

RS4001.jpg

Last edited:
His wife said red. So I wife that can support throwing away money on hobbies like this should get their wish, or at least be considered in their input. I think that ruby red would look cool. Ira has cherry red on one of his scs so that's been done. scs came in dark red colors factory, they looked great when new.
The darker you go the less pop you will get. This car is will be smaller a dark color will make it look even smaller.

John did mention that he'd rather not do a color that already has been done on an SWB.

#1 was red
#2 was silver/grey
#3 was white and then grabber blue
#4 was mia
#5 is dark blue
#6 was dark red

I do like the the Eleanor color combo. Dark silver and black stripes is very sinister.

Black is an obvious variation. I know black sounds a little boring, but it is a "cannot fail" color for an SC, and it is very easy to accessorize.

I'd like to see a truly custom paintjob. Something with some matte black stripe/accent combination. Or maybe some radical flames or something like that....

Back