90 SC Headlight switch issue

kostaccio

I know this is a common problem in older vehicles with the dimmer switch integrated in the headlight switch, but the metal coil for the dimmer part can break and get corroded making the headlights fail. I recently had this issue with my 90 SC and it actually shorted out the headlights while I was driving at night. I kept noticing this burning smell and it finally started smoking. I pulled over and noticed it was coming from the headlight switch since the dashboard got really hot. Thankfully the local Ford dealership still had the headlight switch available and it only took me 5 minutes to install. So if you notice a plastic burning smell only when you have your lights on, this could be the issue. It's an easy part to replace.

Re-wire the fogs or it will happen again, the lighting system pulls too much amperage through the switch and burns it up.

Fogs heck! Put a relay harness in for the highs AND the lows! And one for the fogs!

Which reminds me - need to build one for my fogs, and then install the fogs.

RwP

What abouut hids will thoes draw less amps and not burn up the switch

But they DO require quite a bit more inrush (when they turn on).

No, go relay first.

HIDs are only an option (IMO) after you go relay.

And since you've got a Gen1, you may look at HIRs (9011/9012 to replace the 9005/9006) instead. More light than halogen, lack of poor focus of a cheap HID upgrade, all in all a win IMO.

RwP

I have used many different types of headlights, and I am yet to find anything that comes close to my 6000k HID's. I was driving home from work and hit the high beams while my low's were on............ Didn't even see them. I love my HID'S

I have used many different types of headlights, and I am yet to find anything that comes close to my 6000k HID's. I was driving home from work and hit the high beams while my low's were on............ Didn't even see them. I love my HID'S

OK.

I drive down a straight section of I49 in Louisiana.

With my HIRs, when I pass mile marker 121, I can see (can't read, but can see) mile marker 120. That's 1 mile reflection on LOW beams.

I don't usually have enough distance to see how far I can see on high beams, but with HIDs, I was getting too much scatter back.

The test is not "How much can I see two foot in front of the car", but "how far can I see something on the road in front of me". Without projectors, HIDs tend to fail miserably.

RwP

Hopefully this will add something to the conversation... I have an 89 SC, purchased in August this year. Last night was the farthest I've driven it after dark (about 115 miles). Toward the end of the trip (headlights on about 1 hour), the headlights began to go out for a few seconds, 5 or 6, randomly and intermittently. It didn't seem to be the multi-function switch (I wiggled that). This wasn't associated with the fog lamps...which weren't on.

Evidently, this problem has been potential the whole time I've owned the car. It's just gotten around to expressing itself, due to my extended night-time drive last night.

I've ordered a replacement headlight switch (from Rock Auto). Not having a history with the car, I have no knowledge if the switch has been replaced, previously (136K miles). But I do know the parameters of the problem. If, after replacing the switch, I can exceed by a fair margin one hour of lights-on operation without a failure, I'll consider the issue resolved for the time being. I'll post back my results for others who face a similar issue.

Alan

Last edited:
OK.

I drive down a straight section of I49 in Louisiana.

With my HIRs, when I pass mile marker 121, I can see (can't read, but can see) mile marker 120. That's 1 mile reflection on LOW beams.

I don't usually have enough distance to see how far I can see on high beams, but with HIDs, I was getting too much scatter back.

The test is not "How much can I see two foot in front of the car", but "how far can I see something on the road in front of me". Without projectors, HIDs tend to fail miserably.

RwP

This also depends on the temperature of the lamps to. The 6000k are by far the brightest, my friend has 8000k HID'S and hates em. But his are blue mine are white, if it's improved visibility is what you want then 6000k HID's are what you want. I will be doing my fog lights and high beams as well. I'll get a picture of how well they work.

I actually just put a set of HIDs in my car which are 1000000x better than those Sylvania ZXE bulbs that cost 60 bucks a set. I thought about the relay idea but in the many years of owning old cars with the old style headlight switches with the dimmer built in, I figure if it goes again I'll just replace the part. I have a 1970 Monte Carlo that has a 42 year old headlight switch in it that the dimmer part has some broken connections and I have yet to replace it. Now if I'm having to replace my SC headlight switch every year, then I'll put a relay in it. If it something I may get another 40 years out of, why play around with the wiring.

I actually just put a set of HIDs in my car which are 1000000x better than those Sylvania ZXE bulbs that cost 60 bucks a set. I thought about the relay idea but in the many years of owning old cars with the old style headlight switches with the dimmer built in, I figure if it goes again I'll just replace the part. I have a 1970 Monte Carlo that has a 42 year old headlight switch in it that the dimmer part has some broken connections and I have yet to replace it. Now if I'm having to replace my SC headlight switch every year, then I'll put a relay in it. If it something I may get another 40 years out of, why play around with the wiring.

Simple. There's a known fire hazard by all that current going through the multi function switch. Ford had a recall, the new ones are better - but why not just AVOID the problem?

'Course, it's your car. If that known fire hazard doesn't faze you any, well ...

RwP

This also depends on the temperature of the lamps to. The 6000k are by far the brightest, my friend has 8000k HID'S and hates em. But his are blue mine are white, if it's improved visibility is what you want then 6000k HID's are what you want. I will be doing my fog lights and high beams as well. I'll get a picture of how well they work.

And be sure to bench mark how far down the road you can see.

Most pics show how much is flooding the near field. I don't give a crap about the near field at 75MPH ... I want it far enough ahead that I can STOP the car before I hit that deer in the road! Being able to determine its sex and exact number of points in the last 20 feet before I actually hit it is not that big a deal to me.

But eh. I prefer usable, which is why I'm running HIR low beams. Your Mileage May Vary.

RwP

What exactly was the recall on the headlight switch and what was Ford's remedy for the fix? Cause if the recall was never performed on my car I'll have Ford look into it. My car has to go in to the Ford dealership Wednesday for the sway bar end links anyways.

Back