Coolant Circuits

SCrazy

SCCoA Member
I'm trying to think through how the coolant circuits originally were routed on the car.

I think the outlet on the passenger side of the intake manifold went to the throttle body, heater core and oil cooler then back to the water pump. The drivers side at the T-stat had a bypass that went directly back to the water pump and of course the main hose that went to the top of the radiator.

On my car all the accessory stuff has been removed and the hose on the passenger side now also goes directly back to the water pump. I essentially have two bypass lines.

I'm looking at ways to modify the t-stat housing in order to slide the blower forward a couple of inches. I'm thinking of cutting the existing t-stat housing off and running two -12 lines, one from the exisitng passenger side port on the intake and one from a new port I'd install basically in a location on the intake that mirrors the passenger side port, to a remote t-stat. I'd also have a single bypass line from the new remote location back to the water pump. The second port on the top of the pump I would simply plug.

As I understand the water passages I think this would work OK.

I know I'm rambling here but have I missed anything?

Last edited:
Sounds right. But can't you just plug the passenger side port? Here is something you might be interested in. Its from www.modularmustangracing.com They have an inline t stat housing too and an adapter without the cap fitting.

cross%20over%20delete%20with%20fill.jpg

Last edited:
But how much area does the t stat have to flow?

I hate this 300 seconds between posts. Is it just me?

But how much area does the t stat have to flow?

I hate this 300 seconds between posts. Is it just me?

I hadnt considered what a large flow restriction the actual thermostat might be. I don't really know.....nor do I have any idea what the minimum flow might be for proper cooling.

Back