intercooler teflon gaskets

red766

On ebay right now, there is item #270756769110,
set of 4 teflon gaskets for the intercooler (top and bottom) and
then two for the other end of the upper and lower tubes. The ad says for 89-95 SC. My ford service manual shows no gaskets in these 4 locations. Anybody know what is right. My manual is for a 94/95 SC. My car is a 95.

Last edited:
answer :

I think I found my answer, from another sccoa post from a few years back.::

"Those O-rings are not for sealing the tubes to the manifold or to the IC. They seal the female ends of the tubes to the actual IC piping. You will see that the ends are notched for a spanner wrench and are removeable. The O-rings go in there! "

You're confusing two different things.

The o-rings that you posted about seal the tube ends to the tubes.

The teflon gaskets replace the OEM teflon tape that was used to seal the tube ends against the intercooler, supercharger top, and the inlet on the intake manifold.

Those gaskets work wonders if you have stock or double IC and stock pipes. Mine always leaked until I put the gaskets on. I didn't mess with the IC top spanner nut connection.

Those are my gaskets on Ebay. They are not factory, but rather a re-useable gasket that requires no cleaning during re-installation process if you needed to take them apart again, initial install needs to be clean of course. RTV can be quite effective also.

The factory installation procedure is outlined in the Ford service manual, Supercharger and Charge Air Cooler - Section 03-04B .. in the Charge Air Cooler Inlet Tube and Outlet Tube removal and installation instructions describes the factory method of installing the "Sealing tape" as they call it - part number ESE-M4G-168-B from Kit no. E9PE-6F091-AA ( which I have heard not long ago is still available at some dealerships ) although I have also heard it can be a pain to install. Its basically Teflon Tape.

Install Gasket Sealant Tape or equivelant circumferentially to the spherical seat surfaces of the CAC tubes (four places). Install the sealant tape approximately 3mm (1/8 inch) from the inner diameter of the CAC tubes. Overlap the sealant tape ends approximately 6mm (1/4 inch). The collar is torqued to 148 Lb-ft. Wait 10 minutes and retighten to 148 Lb-Ft. The Intercooler nuts are torqued to 15-22 Lb-ft. So I understand why some people avoid the top collar nut as it can be on there pretty tight especially without the proper Spanner wrench.

- Dan

You're confusing two different things.

The o-rings that you posted about seal the tube ends to the tubes.

The teflon gaskets replace the OEM teflon tape that was used to seal the tube ends against the intercooler, supercharger top, and the inlet on the intake manifold.
Hello, hoping you are still a member here. I cannot find any of the Ford Spec gasket sealant tape that Ford calls for at the IC tube ends at the connection to the cooler and plenums. Do you know what I can use that will provide a good seal at these four locations ? Thank-you for your help. Steve

Hello, hoping you are still a member here. I cannot find any of the Ford Spec gasket sealant tape that Ford calls for at the IC tube ends at the connection to the cooler and plenums. Do you know what I can use that will provide a good seal at these four locations ? Thank-you for your help. Steve
Will this help you?

Instead of the sealant tape or gaskets, you can use high temp RTV to seal those connections. Same is true for stuff like throttle body, inlet and return plenums.

It says not to use RTV. The supercharger top and the inlet plenum must also be resealed properly when they are separated from the supercharger case. We offer the proper gasket eliminator product to seal these items back to the case. DO NOT use any type of RTV for this purpose as it can break off and be injested into your engine.

It says not to use RTV. The supercharger top and the inlet plenum must also be resealed properly when they are separated from the supercharger case. We offer the proper gasket eliminator product to seal these items back to the case. DO NOT use any type of RTV for this purpose as it can break off and be injested into your engine.
OK, thank-you for this information. In fact, I did use Loctite 518 flange sealant at the plenums. Could I use the same product at the four tube connections? The Loctite tube states this is the preferred sealant for "rigid metal flanges".

Will this help you?
Hello, Thank-you for your message. It looks like that is what I need. I did use Loctite 518 flange sealant at the two plenums. Could I use the same product at the four tube connections? The Loctite tube states this is the preferred sealant for "rigid metal flanges".

Me and several others around here have been using High temp RTV to seal these surfaces and more for the past 25 years without any issues.

Back