Rear diff Tracloc clutches

TbirdSCFan

Does anyone know if these are large tab or small tab? Rockauto has 2 different parts. Also, does anyone know if you need the steels to rebuild?

Here's the descriptions:

USA STANDARD GEAR Part # USA16017 Trac-Loc Clutch Set; w/Long Tabs
VIN R; SC; FI; Rear 8.8 in. (10 Bolt); 28 Spline

USA STANDARD GEAR Part # USA16018 Trac-Loc Clutch Set; w/Short Tabs
VIN R; SC; FI; Rear 8.8 in. (10 Bolt); 28 Spline

Or is this the right part: ebay

Last edited:
Those might still be available from Ford and even if they're not...have them check Vintage for NOS then take the part number and run it on partsvoice.com

This brings up a question I've had.

TommieVaughnPerformance.COM shows a carbon fibre clutch/rebuild set for a Cobra, which includes the S-spring. Would this fit a MN12 tracloc?

And what would be the penalties of using this?

They also have a non-CF variant, which says it's for all 8.8 tracloc units, but doesn't include the S-spring. Means it's not $46 cheaper, since you'd still have to locate a S-spring for the unit.

RwP

Ralph,

If I understand trackloc correctly, a tighter load spring and sturdier friction materials will result in a slight increase in tire wear. Having said that though, the increase would be hardly noticable. Considering how metal fatigues, its probably best to replace the "S" spring when replacing the clutches.

Last edited:
Ralph,

If I understand trackloc correctly, a tighter load spring and sturdier friction materials will result in a slight increase in tire wear. Having said that though, the increase would be hardly noticable. Considering how metal fatigues, its probably best to replace the "S" spring when replacing the clutches.

I knew about the S-spring. My point was that the non-carbon fiber kit from FRPP didn't have one, so one would have to be located - cutting some of the $43 penalty at Tommie Vaughn Performance down. Makes the carbon fiber look downright cheap in comparision *grins*

Anyway - I'm considering tackling a T/L rebuild and gear swap in my spare diff (a 2.73 or whatever unit out of a 5-speed SC ... not what I want behind a 5.0HO with an AOD! And my 3.08 is leaking at the pinion gear seal, and has about 200Kmiles on it now. And I have 3.77 gears sitting here to go into it ... )

RwP

Back