PDA

View Full Version : 1990 SC ABS brake problems. Need help

vgfedor
11-05-2002, 03:52 AM
I also posted this to the SC Clob of Ontario forum but maybe someone close to home has an idea or the part.
My 1990 Sc had a leaking ABS master brake cylinder. I could not get a new part through Ford (very expensive anyways I found out later), Ford no longer sells a re-built kit for it so my mechanic can not repair it, I can not get a re-manufactured part through NAPA or other places around town here so I just let it leak. Now all of a sudden the brakes do not work (extremely hard brake pedal pressure required). The mechanic is not sure if the ABS master brake cylinder is at fault or the ABS computer in the trunk is at fault. Ford tells him to replace the ABS master brake cylinder first but its hard to do unless I take a chance on a used unit. So does anyone really know what the problem may be or does anyone have a ABS master brake cylinder for sale that is
in really good condition? :confused:

EdmontonSuperCoupe
11-05-2002, 12:02 PM
Two things.... One did you try getting a master cylinder at Canadian tire cuz I know they have them..... I got a rebuilt one from them for $50 +core charge....
And second you should try posting on our other message board....
here is the addy:

New Message Board (http://pub34.ezboard.com/bsupercoupeclubofwesterncanada)

vgfedor
11-06-2002, 01:35 AM
Originally posted by EdmontonSuperCoupe
Two things.... One did you try getting a master cylinder at Canadian tire cuz I know they have them..... I got a rebuilt one from them for $50 +core charge....
And second you should try posting on our other message board....
here is the addy:

New Message Board (http://pub34.ezboard.com/bsupercoupeclubofwesterncanada)

CANADIAN TIRE PARTS DESK TOLD ME THEY DID NOT HAVE ANYTHING LISTED FOR 1990 SC MASTER BRAKE CYLINDER WITH ABS. MAYBE IT IS TIME I WENT BACK AND ASKED AGAIN. THANKS FOR THE INFO.

EdmontonSuperCoupe
11-06-2002, 12:42 PM
no problem.... you know you should come and join SCCoWC.......
Maybe even come to one of the Alberta meets we are going to have in the spring....

vgfedor
11-07-2002, 04:04 AM
I just might do that. Might even bring out my 95 Tbird SC though I hate to put miles on it. Hey! if I ever get the brakes fixed I'll get my 90 to tow my 95.:D

Big Cat Davo
11-09-2002, 03:25 AM
Hey I live here in the Hat as well. Drive a 90 XR7, White. She is being parked for the winter though . . . get a couple more guys here and we can start having mini meets . . .

soop
11-09-2002, 10:52 PM
I feel your pain. After being quoted $3400 CDN for a new and paying $1200 for one out of an SC, I found out about a reman outfit in the USA that sell units for $500 USD.

Prior Remanufacturing (http://www.priorreman.com/)

Hope this helps.

soop
11-09-2002, 10:57 PM
One more thing. When mine went, Ford diagnosed it as the ABS master. What it was doing was not releasing the brakes after a stop. Was like I was Brake-torquing until about 2000 rpm.
I am sure other symptoms might reflect failure in different components of the ABS.

devlin
11-11-2002, 01:52 AM
I live in Calgary. and a few years ago the same thing happened to me. i had the car parked for over a month trying to figure out what to do. Ford wants almost $4000 plus labour for a new M/C. Finally i found a place which was mentioned in an earlier reply. Prior Remanufacturing is the ONLY place that rebuilds these things. i came on to them by accident and posted my find on SCCOA right away. This was about 3 years ago. nobody else had ever heard of the place up untill then, now everybody refers them. sadly i sold my SC last year for down payment money on a house, but i still hang around trying to answer questions and keep up on current projects. But i a pretty happy that my info on Prior has helped so many people and is still being refered. and by the way, the reman M/C worked flawlessly. i would suggest going for it. good luck.

soop
11-11-2002, 02:10 AM
Originally posted by devlin
I live in Calgary. and a few years ago the same thing happened to me. i had the car parked for over a month trying to figure out what to do. Ford wants almost $4000 plus labour for a new M/C. Finally i found a place which was mentioned in an earlier reply. Prior Remanufacturing is the ONLY place that rebuilds these things. i came on to them by accident and posted my find on SCCOA right away. This was about 3 years ago. nobody else had ever heard of the place up untill then, now everybody refers them. sadly i sold my SC last year for down payment money on a house, but i still hang around trying to answer questions and keep up on current projects. But i a pretty happy that my info on Prior has helped so many people and is still being refered. and by the way, the reman M/C worked flawlessly. i would suggest going for it. good luck.

:cool: Too late for me though. Wished I'd heard of it before.

vgfedor
11-13-2002, 12:49 AM
Thanks everybody for all of the information that has been posted lately. I have read lots of posted articles on the subject now and I have to do some trouble shooting to find out exactly what may be wrong for it could be up to three things. Regardless, I am going to have to buy a re-conditioned ABS Master cylinder if I want the leak fixed. At least now I know where to get a refurbished unit (Prior Manufacturing) while two weeks ago I did not have the slightest idea.:)

luv the coupe
11-26-2002, 02:33 AM
I have 1990 s/c that I have decided to part. The crank went on it. I found a 1993 in B.C. with 91 k.m. So i will part the 1990, insted of spending 3500 fixing it. Everything on the car worked fine prior. will use some parts for my 1993 down the road I guess. But if you still need something let me know, and maybe I can help.

vgfedor
12-05-2002, 02:19 AM
To Shanon McRae:
Thanks for the offer of parts from your 1990 SC but I ordered a refurbished ABS unit from Prior Remanufacturing. It is somewhere stuck at the border waiting customs inspection by a broker. By troubleshooting my car I found out the main problem for "no brakes" was a burnt out ABS relay. Ordered a new one ($21.30 + GST) and now I have brakes but the ABS warning light keeps on coming on (flickers) when I hit the brakes so I hope a new ABS brake will fix the problem plus the leak.

luv the coupe
12-05-2002, 11:02 PM
No problem, Good luck with your brakes if you need something in the future give me a call at 306:536:3106 or e-mail me
Shanon