Check "Gage" light and oil pressure drops intermittently

JAFO

A couple of times in the last 2 days my red "check gage" (why did they spell it like that?) light in the tach has come on and I notice my oil pressure gauge has dropped to about nothing. This only lasts a few seconds to a minute. Then it picks up and the light turns off. Plenty of oil and just changed it 2-3 weeks ago. Is this a common problem? No electrical problems evident, and since the light comes on when the gauge drops, I'm assuming it's really not pumping oil for those few seconds, not some other glich.

EDIT: BTW, this is normal driving, no boost, no higher than 3000 RPM. RPM isn't a factor, just cuts out. The oil pressure gauge doesn't dip all the way to the red, just to the most extreme left at the end of the green where the green line is vertical. Doesn't drop below that. Watched it go up and the light turned off at the same time.

*I am also doing a search for prev posts, but I want to make sure the symptoms are the same. Most I've seen are about a dead gauge all together or this problem under boost.

Last edited:
Gauging by your statements, I'd suggest you check the hookup at the pressure sender unit to be sure that its clean of oil and tight. Or, just replace it anyway. They're cheap. Better yet, install a true pressure gauge. But don't drive around with no oil pressure for extended periods of time.

As far as gage, I think Ford probably should have splurged and bought the extra vowel.
;)

Gauge

Both spellings are correct. Gauge is usually used to describe a precision instrument, which our oil pressure indicator clearly is NOT.

are you SURE you are seeing the word "GAGES"? because i just went out and checked my light and it clearly says "check gaUges"

just curious, is this something the 89-90s had spelled wrong or something?

I am having the same problem lately with my '91 SC. I was also told to check the Pressure Sending Sensor. I bought the part, about $9.00. The only problem is I don't know where to find in on the engine. Does anyone know where it's located?

Thanks for the suggestions. Hope it doesn't get worse before Fri, but I don't do much driving. Maybe it'll be ok.

Confirmed, "Check Gage". 1991 model. It's bugged me since Day 1. LOL! Maybe that guy got fired at the end of the '91 production year? Brings new meaning to "idiot lights".:p

Back