raised top problem

bumpskier45

I recently purchased a raised top from magnumpowers for my 93 sc,now the pipe that screws onto that is too low now,what do you all do when this happens,is there a pipe offered for people that purchase these,because its not like you can raise the intercooler to match it,only thing I can see is rotating the pipe,but I would have to cut off that little knob thing where it bolts on to the engine,which I never knew was there and is not attached.

I recently purchased a raised top from magnumpowers for my 93 sc,now the pipe that screws onto that is too low now,what do you all do when this happens,is there a pipe offered for people that purchase these,because its not like you can raise the intercooler to match it,only thing I can see is rotating the pipe,but I would have to cut off that little knob thing where it bolts on to the engine,which I never knew was there and is not attached.

You need to ditch the stud that threads into the side of the alternator bracket. Then remove the top intercooler pipe and the reinstall without the stud. You will need to re-seal the intercooler tube connections.

by ditch it you mean grind it right off correct,even so it doesn't look like that will give me any heighth,even rotating the upper intercooler line may raise it but make the threads rotate as well thus still not lining up.

by ditch it you mean grind it right off correct,even so it doesn't look like that will give me any heighth,even rotating the upper intercooler line may raise it but make the threads rotate as well thus still not lining up.

What you were told above is correct, just do like he said and it will be fine. And yes, by ditch he means to remove and discard the stud because it can't be used. Weight of the IC and tubes will be supported by the support tab on the lower IC tube.

David

ok thanks for the tip I just tried it and it worked? what do most folks use to reseal the intercooler line,I was assuming basic rtv gasket sealer.

By ditch I mean pull it out. A 7mm wrench or socket wil allow you to turn that stud out.

last question

Thanks for all the help guys everything went back together just fine,I have one more question,I let this sit overnight to ensure the rtv set up,how do you all test for leaks once your done?

Thanks for all the help guys everything went back together just fine,I have one more question,I let this sit overnight to ensure the rtv set up,how do you all test for leaks once your done?

Test it by starting the car and seeing if it will still idle without stalling.

David

Test it by starting the car and seeing if it will still idle without stalling.

David

X2 to that. You should typically see vacuum at idle somewhere between 17 and 19 inches. If so you are probably good to go. If not and you have high idle issues, or stalling, etc. Then you need to remove and reseal.

Dave Dalke told me to check the flatness of my raised top. It should be at least 0.005" but 0.002" will work.

I placed in the milling machine and measured the flatness. The top was off of flatness by 20 thousands just below the inlet. It would have leaked like a sieve! I had my machinist correct the flatness to .0015" (1.5 thousands of an inch).
:)

started it up today idles fine revs good,doesn't seem to be any leaks that i can tell. It does seem to have a tiny bit of lag though.

Back