1/2 mile racing?

ricardoa1

Anyone here interested in 1/2 mile racing?

I know the turbo guys would love to

Can the good old 3.8l take the abuse. Or is it a recipe for disaster?

IDK but it sure sounds like fun. I'd be pushing 150 MPH or more in a half-mile! :eek:

What half-mile event were you thinking about racing?

Texas mile rules are a piece of cake, if it wasnt lightyears away id be down there trying it. Just log the car carefully 1/4 the 1/2 and shut it down. From there on out its fixing inabilities in the cars performance.

These guy go around different places.

http://www.wannagofast.com/

Wondering if the 3.8l in supercharged form can take the heat from prolonged boost, without detuning.

Im curious to know how fast at the end an SC with 300, 350, 400, 450hp will be going at the end of the track. And gearing needed on a stock 5spd?

I'll throw a rope around my neck and go with;

I'm I even close?

Paul

Those sound optimistic. But I don't really know.
Its on street tires the stock gears might be the better choice. But mid to upper might suffer. Getting reeled in by the turbo and high hp v8 toward the back end.

Detuning only in the sense that most SC owners insist on putting their timing on the bleeding edge of death. I don't see any issue if you know what you are doing, but some SC's would puke by the 1/2 mile.

Detuning only in the sense that most SC owners insist on putting their timing on the bleeding edge of death. I don't see any issue if you know what you are doing, but some SC's would puke by the 1/2 mile.

Yeah so thats my point, seems there are several ways of tuning the cars. 1/4mile timing would be ok at the track, but for severe duty like road racing and 1/2 mile runs, it might not be so smart.

Oiling and cooling are my worries. I know the car will be somewhat planted at those speed and with some 13" brakes it should not be a problem slowing down.

I'll throw a rope around my neck and go with;

I'm I even close?

Paul
Those sound optimistic. But I don't really know.
Its on street tires the stock gears might be the better choice. But mid to upper might suffer. Getting reeled in by the turbo and high hp v8 toward the back end.

Click on the Event Results tab of their website and you can download an excel spreadsheet of the times that various cars put in. I was looking at the October results last night and the fastest any of the 63 cars that showed up went was a 169.89 MPH run by a Corvette ZR-1.

If you're good with excel you can crunch the numbers any which way until your heart's content.

Based on my own experience with my own car at roughly 400 RWHP I'd estimate close to 150 MPH in half a mile.

Last edited:
I think 1/2 mile racing would be a cool idea. But you would need a big runoff area. And driveshaft critical speed would instantly be a problem. I think you would have to require driveshaft loops. And maybe even use a spec driveshaft. Otherwise I think a lot of people would be getting injured when nearing 130mph.

When I ran Road Atlanta a couple of years ago I ran my street tune, 24 degrees of advance, and with 93 octane had no issues at all.

I would like to make one of these meets. Looks very fun.
Supercars love events like this. Rarely you see a super car at the 1/4 mile places.

How much timing is advisable, I'd like running full tilt if possible but don't feel like puking out parts In front of mega buck cars.

Anyone here interested in 1/2 mile racing?

I know the turbo guys would love to

Can the good old 3.8l take the abuse. Or is it a recipe for disaster?

Since OD can't be used at WOT, most of the automatic guys would be out of gear just past the 1/4 mile mark.

David

I would definitely be down for some 1/2 mile racing. I would set the fans to come on right away, add a tranny cooler to my manual, oil coolers to my engine oil and rear diff. Might as well hit the salt flats at that point. I dont think I would want to use ET's either

I wonder how you would build your motor to accept that kind of abuse?

Back