Intercooler dual temp gauge

kenewagner

I have been thinking of installing a dual temp gauge on the new Intercooler. The ones I am looking at show temp in and temp out. It would just require a 3/8" alum bung welded in both sides of the intercooler. The gauge comes with two temp probes. It would seem to be helpfully to see what the temps going in are and how much actual cooling of the air coming out. What think you all?? good idea or not? Here is a link to one
http://www.ebay.com/itm/52mm-Dual-A...ge-Meter-Blue-Digital-LED-SMOKE-/330752695311

Ken

I have been thinking of installing a dual temp gauge on the new Intercooler. The ones I am looking at show temp in and temp out. It would just require a 3/8" alum bung welded in both sides of the intercooler. The gauge comes with two temp probes. It would seem to be helpfully to see what the temps going in are and how much actual cooling of the air coming out. What think you all?? good idea or not? Here is a link to one
http://www.ebay.com/itm/52mm-Dual-A...ge-Meter-Blue-Digital-LED-SMOKE-/330752695311

Ken

I think the more numbers we get is better we all know bout wats going on with our cars i think its good idea. I like the idea.

It would be interesting to know those numbers but I'm not sure I would install one in my car for a couple of reasons.

First unless I dataloged the values I don't know I how would watch the gauge or flip between sensors when at WOT when the data would be really interesting.

Second the really important number I would think is the output and since I datalog IAT I really already have that number (or close enough).

It would be interesting to know those numbers but I'm not sure I would install one in my car for a couple of reasons.

First unless I dataloged the values I don't know I how would watch the gauge or flip between sensors when at WOT when the data would be really interesting.

Second the really important number I would think is the output and since I datalog IAT I really already have that number (or close enough).

I dont think it would be something I would be trying to monitor all the time. More interesting would be on the dyno to see how efficient the air to water IC cools the air and than run it again with ice to see temp diffrences vs HP number increase if any in apple to apple comparasions. Once you know what what it capable of it would be not a lot of use other than monitering the temps at the track to see how much the water becomes heat soaked. Anyway that where my mind was stuck on:rolleyes: Of course I am talking about my water to air Intercooler, the principle would be somewhat the same on an air to air.

Ken

IAT is something you should already be measuring. How hot the inlet side gets is almost inconsequential unless you're planning on upgrading your turbos or inlets.

What would be a better use of those ports, would be measuring pressure drop across your intercooler. I've tuned a couple cars (135i BMW with the N54 TT 3.0 for instance) that were at the limits of their turbochargers. New intercooler with a lower pressure drop meant we could safely command a couple more PSI up top where it was falling on it's face.

I dont think it would be something I would be trying to monitor all the time. More interesting would be on the dyno to see how efficient the air to water IC cools the air and than run it again with ice to see temp diffrences vs HP number increase if any in apple to apple comparasions. Once you know what what it capable of it would be not a lot of use other than monitering the temps at the track to see how much the water becomes heat soaked. Anyway that where my mind was stuck on:rolleyes: Of course I am talking about my water to air Intercooler, the principle would be somewhat the same on an air to air.

Ken

I played around crunching numbers with air/air intercoolers vs water/air intercoolers a long time ago. Assuming equal size intercoolers and assuming the water temp on the air/water was static. The water/air was about 4X more efficient. I'll see if I can dig out the data I collected. It's been a long time.

What would be a better use of those ports, would be measuring pressure drop across your intercooler. I've tuned a couple cars (135i BMW with the N54 TT 3.0 for instance) that were at the limits of their turbochargers. New intercooler with a lower pressure drop meant we could safely command a couple more PSI up top where it was falling on it's face.

The Magnum power FMIC (air to air) that a lot of people in this club have has an advertised pressure drop of .5 at 700cfm. My IC has an advertised pressure drop of .2 and will flow 1500cfm. I assume I am good in that area. I think the gauge is a cool way to check the heat exchange efficency of the IC and whether its worth its weight in green backs

Ken

I have this gauge on my sc with custom Fmic it works really well and switches very fast ....I welded a bung on tube leaving sc top and tapped a hole in my return plenum right next to stock IAT sender

I posted pictures a while back

I have this gauge on my sc with custom Fmic it works really well and switches very fast ....I welded a bung on tube leaving sc top and tapped a hole in my return plenum right next to stock IAT sender

I posted pictures a while back

Good deal. I pulled the IC out today and welded in two bungs and installed plugs for now. Easy to install the sensors if I decide to go that way. It looks real cool so I will likely do it down the road.

Ken

IAT is something you should already be measuring. How hot the inlet side gets is almost inconsequential unless you're planning on upgrading your turbos or inlets.

Interesting conundrum ... as the intercooler drops the temperature of the air charge, the pressure should drop as well. Just like an orifice in your AC tube restricts flow, but the line sure gets cold just after the orifice. You might have a very restrictive intercooler that shows a great temperature drop, but some of that heat would not have been in the air charge in the first place, if the intercooler wasn't a bottleneck. So, really, you want the intercooler with the best combination of high temperature drop and low flow restriction.

More gauges!:D

I think it is a great idea. Looking to seeing both of your setups!

Ken what IC are you running. Air/air or air/water. and what brand etc? More info please.

Ken what IC are you running. Air/air or air/water. and what brand etc? More info please.

Ken

From Post 1. ;)

I am putting most of the information on the other thread "winter project" more like a build thread. The IC came from Frozen boost. I modified, it is a quality product but was not setup exactly like I wanted so it has been tweaked to suit my setup

Ken

act's

I have been contemplating the same with serviceable aircraft parts . We monitor intake temps constantly as the temp is critical to engine performance. Here's some pics of what I have. Not real fancy but will definitely get the job done .

Attachments

• IMG_20130115_185352.jpg
    IMG_20130115_185352.jpg
    401.3 KB · Views: 183
  • IMG_20130115_185331.jpg
    IMG_20130115_185331.jpg
    380.5 KB · Views: 172
  • IMG_20130115_185303.jpg
    IMG_20130115_185303.jpg
    385.8 KB · Views: 475
IIRC, another member logged blower outlet temps up to 450 degrees on a near stock car driving around town. This was about 10 years ago. I believe thats what promoted ic fans but I don't remember further testing on modified ic's . I'm hoping with a double ic I'll at least be able to see ic outlet temps on this gauge.

I was going to do it. I may still have the sensors laying somewhere. I was going to data log though and not use a gauge. The main purpose is to measure efficiency of the core and allowing you to know things rather than guess. I.e. does adding water wetter to the intercooler water improve intercooler performance? Does the intercooler work better with the pump running faster or slower.

It's just good data to have if you can log it. Not sure the value otherwise.

Back