Dash removal

Lycaon1349

so im removing my dash to access the broken end of my HVAC vacuum supply line that goes throught the firewall where the heater box is, ive got all the bolts out and i can pull the dash away from the firewall but only a limited ammount as the main body harness on the drivers side is still attached, anyone know of any tricks to get this out of there or am i stuck taking apart the components in my drivers side engine compartment? my car is an 89 with a 5 sp so all the hoses and clutch/brake parts are all right there in the corner above where the connector is. HELP!

The bulkhead connector is clipped into the firewall. If you go to the engine compartment side, there are 3 tabs holding it in. Use a small flat-head screwdriver and a pick to try to push them each in, and as you push the tab in, push the connector back through the firewall.

excellent, thank you! then just disconnect it once its all inside, this has been quite the endeavour already i was hoping i wouldnt have to go dismanling that drivers corner

No, disconnect it first from under the hood. There is a 10mm bolt in the center of the connetor. A flex-head 1/4" ratchet with a shallow 10mm socket works great for it. Once it is disconnected, you will see the 3 tabs to release the other side of it into the passenger compartment.

Couple of notes for you.. you'll need to disconnect every single connector behind the pass side kick panel. The radio antenna harness has to be disconnected from under the fender liner. You can grope around to find it. Then push the wiring into the pass compartment.

There is 1 large connector tucked up under the driver side with a 10mm bolt holding it on. It has to be removed. There is also a smaller 4-5 wire connector just beside it that has to be disconnected.

I assume you already removed the VMM and the A/C panel. The vac lines are held on by 2 10mm nuts over plastic studs (no threads). Be careful with those.

Oh, and all those push clips that broke off when you removed the trim panels... after you've epoxied them back into place, put a super tiny dab of grease over the curl part of the tips to help when reinstalling.

You're gonna cringe, but I pulled a dash last weekend in just a little over 2 hours. Thats without cutting any wires. :)

ugh, damn, oh well im already this far, dash pulls away from the firewall its just those few more things then its out, and this is all just to replace the stupid HVAC supply line... ive been working on it piece by piece for the past 3 or 4 days. hope i didnt lose any hardware in the process or have any mystery parts left over when the job is done, haha

heater box removal

okay so the dash is out and ive got the evaporator and heater core disconnected. but now i cant figure out how the heater box comes out, theres only one bolt thats visible up on top where that tab/bracket is, and i cant get the lower vents all the way out because after removing the two visible bolts it still feels like theres something attaching it from the back.

also theres that part of the floor vents thats stapled into the floor and runs down and under the front seats??? cant figure out how to remove it unless i remove the seats and front carpet and rip the staples out.

so lost on this one. im so close, i just want my friggin car back together :confused::confused::confused:

That said - you can replace both cores without removing the box.

However, you will have to CUT the box and seal it back up if you do it that way.

Your call - I'm cutting and sealing myself, since the motor and tranny will still be in Ruby when I get to it.

RwP

im going to have to get the box out. the whole reason im doing this is to repair the vac lines that run above the box, i have to get them out in the open because mice had chewed through the white and the black when the previous owner had the car. in addition to that i have a new heater core and evaporator. evaporator is the particularly important part considering im replacing the whole dead r12 system with brand new parts to pump full of r134a \m/

okay so now i got the box out, got the heater core out. but how do i get the evaporator out without destroying the box??:confused: theres tab/clip things but the seam appears sealed and i dont want to pry it apart and have the plastic shatter... thoughts??

okay so now i got the box out, got the heater core out. but how do i get the evaporator out without destroying the box??:confused: theres tab/clip things but the seam appears sealed and i dont want to pry it apart and have the plastic shatter... thoughts??

This is where the factory service manual is really nice to have.

To quote from page 36-41-21 of the 1991 service manual:

Evaporator Core and Cover Kit

Removal and Installation:

1) Remove evaporator assembly from vehicle.

2) remove three screws and pull air inlet duct away from evaporator case (see Fig. 19)

3) With a small saw, cut the top of the evaporator case between the dotted lines.

4) Remove the old evaporator core from the case.

5) Be sure all burrs are removed from the sawed cdges of the evaporator case.

6) Hold the cover against the case firmly and drill five 3/16 inch diameter holes for the retaining screws.

7) Install the new evaporator in the evaporator case.

8) Install the service cover to the evaporator case.

9) Install the five retaining screws.

10) Run a bead of Caulking Cord Rope Sealer D9AZ-19560-A or equivalent between the service cover and the evaporator case.

11) Position air inlet duct on evaporator case and install three screws.

12) Install the evaporator case.

Now - my evaporator I bought? Didn't have the service cover, so I'll get to plastic-weld and epoxy the part I cut out back on.

RwP

awesome man!! major props to you, gonna get this DONE tomorrow after work. damn thing has been in the garage since before christmas, I WANNA DRIVE MY CAR DANGIT! haha, once again thanks man:cool:

getimage.php

i think im going to return the aftermarket core and just go with the motorcraft one that comes with the cover

Or... do what I've done.. Pry the halves apart; do the work; epoxy back together; drill and reinforce with small sheet metal screws around the perimeter. :)

Last edited:
I just did mine.

nodash.jpg

Cutline.jpg

sectionoff.jpg

sectionoff2.jpg

sectionoffevap.jpg

sectionon.jpg

sectionon2.jpg

I found that i probly wouldnt have needed the bolts. The black rtv i used set pretty hard and may have been fine without them.

hmmmmmm, maybe worth a shot to do it that way to save a few bucks.... ill assume youre pretty confident with the rtv holding it in place? i do actually have some 3M window weld left over that might hold stronger still... thoughts?

Back