DriveShaft Shop Level 2 halfshafts (pics added 1-23)

David Neibert

SCCoA Admin
Just wondering if anyone here is using these shafts in an MN12 ? I finally decided to upgrade from the factory original halfshafts in my 93 SC to a set of these 600 HP rated level 2 halfshafts with 28 splines on each end.

http://www.driveshaftshop.com/domes...underbird-1989-1997-600hp-complete-rear-axles

I seriously considered stepping up to the stronger level 5 halfshafts, but doing that would have required new 35 spline hubs and some special machine work to maintain the 4.25" bolt pattern, and I'm still not sure if the 35 spline hubs would be compatible with my KVR rear brake rotors and stock rear brakes. To get the full benefit of the level 5 shafts would also have required changing the differential to one with 31 spline side gears, and I've already got a small fortune invested in the one I've got on the car now. If changing the differential was going to be required, it would make more sense to convert to a solid axle.

So I figured that if the stock halfshafts haven't failed yet, these much stronger level 2 shafts should be plenty for my application, or at least enough to allow me to safely increase the trans brake launch a few hundred rpms. The only thing I need to do, to make them fit is swap over the ABS sensor rings from my stock half-shafts.

Just to make sure the pumpkin doesn't tear loose under the harder launches, I'm also upgrading to the same LPW diff cover, Energy suspension poly front diff mounts and the Performance artwork rear diff mount...like I did on my 91 SC.

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=54779&d=1353952366

I'll take some pictures when all the stuff shows up. BTW, the picture shown on the DSS website is not correct..the Level 2 shaft uses a Porsche style bolt on flange for the inner stub shafts.

David

Last edited:
I am not aware of anyone using them but was always curious with parts like this if it is 600HP/pair or each? Meaning if each were rated at 600 HP could you then run 1,200 HP as the load would be split between the two or is the 600HP for the pair and you can only run 300HP thorugh each shaft? I wonder how that works.

OMG! Boy they are pricey! I just checked them out.

I am not aware of anyone using them but was always curious with parts like this if it is 600HP/pair or each? Meaning if each were rated at 600 HP could you then run 1,200 HP as the load would be split between the two or is the 600HP for the pair and you can only run 300HP thorugh each shaft? I wonder how that works.

OMG! Boy they are pricey! I just checked them out.

I don't know how they calculate the rating, but since they say 600 HP at the wheels and a stock SC make less than 200 at the wheels...I think they will be strong enough.

Yes, they are very pricey compared to the new Ford halfshafts I bought on ebay a couple months ago for $65 each. For what they cost, they should come with a lifetime warranty..but all you get is one year.

David

They have got to be better than the last pair of ultimate unbreakable set for life halfshafts I bought.....come to think of it I think I got the full shaft not just half.

One launch, 10'....carnage:

Attachments

• axles.jpg
    axles.jpg
    399.6 KB · Views: 365
Ive been thinking about those for my Mark VIII. Not to hi-jack, but while we are on topic, what are factory axles good for on SC? I know a full bodied Mark VIII is good down to high 1.5 60 foot. Around there you are rolling the dice as to wether you break them or not...

Ive been thinking about those for my Mark VIII. Not to hi-jack, but while we are on topic, what are factory axles good for on SC? I know a full bodied Mark VIII is good down to high 1.5 60 foot. Around there you are rolling the dice as to wether you break them or not...

I've done a 1.56 60' with mine at 3650 lbs.

Stock ones are good enough to do this coming off the trans brake at 3400 rpms with a 4150# race weight. I just don't think they would hold up to the 3600-3800 rpms I want to launch at.

garage_attachment.php

David

Last edited:
I seriously considered stepping up to the stronger level 5 halfshafts, but doing that would have required new 35 spline hubs and some special machine work to maintain the 4.25" bolt pattern, and I'm still not sure if the 35 spline hubs would be compatible with my KVR rear brake rotors and stock rear brakes. To get the full benefit of the level 5 shafts would also have required changing the differential to one with 31 spline side gears, and I've already got a small fortune invested in the one I've got on the car now. If changing the differential was going to be required, it would make more sense to convert to a solid axle.

I had them make up a set of Level 5 axles with 28 spline inners a few years ago, since I had already installed a True-Trac diff in my Cobra. So they could have probably done the same for you.

The new hubs would have worked fine with your brakes.

Post some pics of the Level 2 axles when you get them.

I had them make up a set of Level 5 axles with 28 spline inners a few years ago, since I had already installed a True-Trac diff in my Cobra. So they could have probably done the same for you.

The new hubs would have worked fine with your brakes.

Post some pics of the Level 2 axles when you get them.

I was aware you had them build a set of Level 5 shafts with a 28 spline inner, but wasn't sure about the hub being compatible. Thanks for clearing that up.

David

Rob had them build him a set for his car - 31 inner spline and 33 outer.

I guess you'd call these level 3+ lol

Those are the one's he ran the 10.04 with. He just worked out an issue with DSS where the shaft was a half inch too short and the tripod hung out on the inside.

DSS fabbed up a new set that was the correct length and corrected the issue.

See this thread for details with pictures.

Last edited:
Rob had them build him a set for his car - 31 inner spline and 33 outer.

I guess you'd call these level 3+ lol

Those are the one's he ran the 10.04 with. He just worked out an issue with DSS where the shaft was a half inch too short and the tripod hung out on the inside.

DSS fabbed up a new set that was the correct length and corrected the issue.

See this thread for details with pictures.

I spoke to Robert about those shafts, but decided it was more than I really wanted to do for a car that almost never gets raced. I thought he said they were Level 5 shafts.

I also ordered the Level 2 shafts through Rob and he is going to make sure they get the length correct. Apparently DSS was operating under the assumption that the length for the 99 Cobra and the MN12 were the same, and Rob doesn't think that is true. Said he would make sure the ones he's getting made for me will be the same length as the new ones they made for him.

David

Last edited:
All the parts are finally here for the stronger diff mounting and upgraded halfshafts. Thought you guys might like to see what the Level 2 shafts look like, so here are some pictures.

David

Attachments

• IMG_0552 (1024x681).jpg
    IMG_0552 (1024x681).jpg
    348.7 KB · Views: 336
  • IMG_0553 (1024x681).jpg
    IMG_0553 (1024x681).jpg
    318.8 KB · Views: 412
  • IMG_0554 (1024x681).jpg
    IMG_0554 (1024x681).jpg
    319.5 KB · Views: 174
  • IMG_0555 (1024x681).jpg
    IMG_0555 (1024x681).jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 260
  • IMG_0556 (1024x681).jpg
    IMG_0556 (1024x681).jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 385
David after I get my motor in and get my car tuned and running right I may do the same thing to mine before the shootout if you dont mind pointing me in the right direction as to what I need to order. I am also thinking of going to the upgraded rear end unit that chris has talked about in another post.

Back