new fan motor

bumpskier45

I just received my new fan motor and I am having a hard time getting the motor to seperate from the blade,the shaft goes to the end then it is flush with the fan,doesn't seem to want to go any further than that,is there a trick to getting it out of there without damaging the fan which is plastic. thanks

Naah... You do not take the motor and fan apart!

I wrote a how to article at tccoa way back when but someone deleted it.

In a nutshell: You use a drill and bit to drill out the rivets that hold the motor to the shroud. Use a center punch on the end where the rivet is the largest to help start the hole. Start with a small drill bit and work your way up. Use oil to keep things cool. It will be a pain, you have to be careful as it will take a little time but it is better than buying a whole new fan shroud assembly.

Replace the rivets with 18-8 SST bolts (the largest fine threaded ones that fit in the hole), washers and heavy 18-8 nuts. Use Loctite on the threads to keep it together. I think I used red. Not sure though...

I think, it was at least eight years since I did it on the Cougar and the Loctite is still holding.
:)

Last edited:
didn't have to drill anything it was just wedged in there pretty good,sprayed some silicone in there let it sit and it popped right out no problem.

Back