94 SC Radiator Reccomendations

tedallen

I had an all metal radiator in my 94 SC which had a lifetime warranty from the shop where I purchased it. My second one from them developed a massive leak and dumped coolant while driving a few months back. The shop where I purchased it is no longer in business so therefore the end of my lifetime warranty.

I am now looking for a replacement. I purchased a replacement from a radiator web site for my Ford Expy a couple of years ago (aluminum with plastic tanks I believe) and it has now started leaking.

Are there any radiator suppliers anyone would recommend that make high quality items with a good warranty that aren't horribly expensive and fit well in a 94 SC? I'm not particularly fond of the plastic tanks, but then again I think the original radiator had them and it far outlasted both replacements.

I'm hoping that I got the engine shutdown before any damage occurred. I started hearing ticking and looked at gauges and noticed the temp gauge was almost pegged. This occurred within a few miles of driving (after the car had been sitting for 20 minutes or so). I had it towed home and waited until the next day to attempt to start it to relocate it in the driveway. It seemed to start ok. Hopefully no blown head gaskets or worse.

Thanks

Ted

I have a radiator from them, and I have not had a problem with it yet. I put in a 160 t-stat but since I changed the radiator I have crap heat, swapping t-stat this weekend. But worth every penny.

I have a radiator from them, and I have not had a problem with it yet. I put in a 160 t-stat but since I changed the radiator I have crap heat, swapping t-stat this weekend. But worth every penny.

Unless you reprogram your fan to turn in at lower temps you could end up overheating that engine with a lower thermostat. By the time the fan needs to come on the thermostat is hung open and the coolant in the radiator doesn't have time to cool off. Aka heat soak.

90sc is correct I put a 180 degree in my car and it didn't produce heat well,and it actually ran hotter,if you don't have a tune shouldn't mess with the t-stat,with a properly working ircm and the stock t-stat 195 degree,and a griffon radiater you should have no problems at all even with mods.

94 SC Radiator Woes

I have been unsuccessful in locating a replacement radiator for the subject vehicle. None of the local brick and mortar auto part stores (e.g Autozone, Advance, O'Reilly) can obtain one, with the possible exception of NAPA.

The online suppliers I have tried don't have them and other than one of them haven't given me any idea when/if they may have them available. Here are some links to companies I have tried:

Shepherd Auto Parts originally told me they should have some in by 5/23/2013. When I called back and spoke to them, the guy said they weren't for sale yet but he showed 30 were going through QA. When I called back a week or so after that, the lady I spoke to said she saw no indication the radiators had been on order, none were in stock and none were on order.

I can't find a listing at all for a radiator on either spinningwheels-sc.com or griffinrad.com for a 1994 SC. I spoke to a lady at buyradiator.com who said the S-1879AA 2-row radiator might be available in 9/2013. She said they order quarterly and they did not place orders for this radiator in the first quarter. However, she said there had been a couple of inquires for it (other than myself) in the last month and that she would add me as another interested customer so hopefully they would order some stock for it.

I really don't want to spend almost $500 for a radiator from NAPA. Their web site claims to have it in stock in the warehouse, but I haven't tried to call to actually confirm this.

Does anyone else know of another supplier I might try?

Thanks,

Ted

Hi Ted,

RockAuto.com shows 2 different suppliers in stock.

PRO Part # 8010128 $223.79
Spectra Premium / Cooling Depot Part # CU128 $236.79

I bought one a few years ago from RadiatorsExpress and the one I got was made by Spectra. It fits and works just fine. The only notable difference I remember is that the intercooler bracket bolts on instead of being welded. the one I got came with the IC bracket. I don't see it in the pictures on RockAuto. So you may have to save that part from your old radiator.

Edit:
Oh yeah, one other difference. The clearance between the overflow hose and the top tank is pretty snug on mine. It should have been just a hair further away. I can barely (JUST barely) fit a thin hose and a spring clamp on there. I can see how that might vary from example to example, however, so a new one might not have any problem.

Double edit:
I just checked NAPA's site at the link you provided. In my area, they are trying to charge $716.20 for their radiator. Come on!!!

Last edited:
[/QUOTE]

Double edit:
I just checked NAPA's site at the link you provided. In my area, they are trying to charge $716.20 for their radiator. Come on!!![/QUOTE]

It would be cheaper go buy a junked SC and take the radiator
Out of it!

Rock Auto different part numbers

Thanks S_Mazza,

I just went to rockauto.com and when I put in "1994 Ford Thunderbird SC 3.8L" it came up with different parts:

• VARIOUS MFR Part # FO3010127 {#F4SZ8005D} OE New w/manual trans $93.79
  • PRO Part # 8011879 $285.79
  • SPECTRA PREMIUM / COOLING DEPOT Part # CU1879 $294.99

When I typed my vehicle in the search box, it ended up matching me with "1994 FORD THUNDERBIRD 3.8L V6 Supercharged OHV : Cooling System : Radiator" which looks to be correct.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Ted

Hi Ted,

RockAuto.com shows 2 different suppliers in stock.

PRO Part # 8010128 $223.79
Spectra Premium / Cooling Depot Part # CU128 $236.79

I bought one a few years ago from RadiatorsExpress and the one I got was made by Spectra. It fits and works just fine. The only notable difference I remember is that the intercooler bracket bolts on instead of being welded. the one I got came with the IC bracket. I don't see it in the pictures on RockAuto. So you may have to save that part from your old radiator.

Edit:
Oh yeah, one other difference. The clearance between the overflow hose and the top tank is pretty snug on mine. It should have been just a hair further away. I can barely (JUST barely) fit a thin hose and a spring clamp on there. I can see how that might vary from example to example, however, so a new one might not have any problem.

Double edit:
I just checked NAPA's site at the link you provided. In my area, they are trying to charge $716.20 for their radiator. Come on!!!

Oh, I didn't realize you had a 1994. Sorry about that. I think they are almost the same, but the mounting arrangement is a little different on the later ones. I don't know why the one is so much cheaper. Might be worth a shot for $200 less!

Radiator for 1994 SC Now in Stock!

In case anyone else is needing an all aluminum radiator, Shepherd Auto parts now has some in stock with part number 24672SAP1879AA.

Their web site is www.shepherdautoparts.com. Price is $155.40 plus shipping and tax and comes with a lifetime warranty.

It looks like buyradiator.com also now has some in stock but their price is $177.00 plus $9.99 for lifetime warranty then shipping (and possibly tax).

Some others may also now have stock as well, but these were the ones I checked. Just placed an order from Shepherd.

Ted

Back