PDA

View Full Version : My LX still needs help?How come no one helps

slow bird
11-05-2002, 08:02 PM
Oh yeah thanks for your adivce MickeyD LX50

Well i have a 90 LX t-bird and you guys have been so helpful with my SC. I was wondering if i could get some help....

Here's the problem my transmission(automatic) won't go past 2nd gear so i am revving high to go normal speed....So does this mean i have damaged syncros or does this have something to do with the torque convertor or does my Thunderbird have a flywheel....

Let me tell you some symptoms car wont switch to the third gear and my car is revving high it also doesn't like to move in overdrive but will for a short time but will soon rev to high. I usually start it in (1) and then back to (D) so my car will run smoother. My reverse is kinda clunky so i have to push the gas to move it and its still kinda jerky.

If it is my transmission(Automatic) and its not cheap to fix i was wondering is there any way to tell if a transmission(Automatic) is good by a car not running cuz i plan on getting one from the "pull it yourself junkyard"...Also after i do get the transmission(automatic) from the junkyard are there any seals gaskets and whatnot i should replace on the transmission(automatic) from the junkyard....Possible tips and how to's for removal and installation of the Automatic transmission in LX.
Thanks all for reading please help.

cheeriosluvr
11-05-2002, 08:56 PM
My cousin had a problem similar to this with his 92 SC AOD tranny.
It wouldnt shift passed second and eventually the tranny let go and he had to get a new one....this is what you maybe looking at.

But when he got his rebuilt he put a shift kit and few other goodies!

Todd

David Neibert
11-06-2002, 12:34 AM
Make sure the TV cable hasn't fallen off. It should be attached next to the throttle cable on the throttle body linkage.

Not unusual for them to fall off and ruin the transmission. It soulds like yours is ready for a rebuild either way.

No way to test a junk yard tranny. It's probably a good idea to replace the filter and fluid before running it.

David