89 wont start again...

BECERRASC

this morning started just fine... then later on today ....

nothing .... turns but.... but it wont fire up .. i checked the bolt for the hb it's there and i try to move the crankshaft pulley (with my hands) it's solid i pull a spark plug wire.... and spark not often very slow.... so i pull codes and this is what i got

memory codes 19 & 96

i checked the fuel in theres fuel in the fuel rail withe ignition switch

i recently changed a crank sensor on this one...

i hate this car...

after all of this BS with my car... i decide to come here and search here for the codes i had pulled of the car ... well... i post it here.... then went back outside to check the car and the M@^@ F#^* started right up??? turn it off at least 15 times and restarted back up again ..... if it wasn't cause it's an 89 5 speed super cleaaannn i wold part this piece of S it out...

by the way

after all of this now that the car is running i did pull the codes again

and this is what i got engine running codes 11 77 thats all .... so were are were are the 19 & 96 at that were present when it wasn't starting up ? :confused:

after all of this now that the car is running i did pull the codes again

and this is what i got engine running codes 11 77 thats all .... so were are were are the 19 & 96 at that were present when it wasn't starting up ? :confused:

You had at least three good starts and they self-cleared.

Well, that's what I'm guessing it is, anyway.

RwP

Where did the replacement crank sensor come from? I ask because this is exactly the symptom I had when my crank sensor was bad.

19/c - Distributorless Ignition Cylinder Identification circuit failure (3.8L SC only) (From looking around, it looks like this might point to the CID Sensor, which appears to mean the Cam Sensor...)

96/o,c - Fuel Pump circuit open, Battery to ECA

11/o,c,r - Pass

77/R - Wide Open Throttle not sensed during Self-Test

I'm not sure how (c) (continuous memory) operates. But my guess is, the '19' went away when the car would start because whatever component is intermittent was working (whereas when the car wouldn't start, this represented the reason).

I read on here to replace the Cam Sensor, Crank Sensor, and DIS simultaneously, if any fail. There are various schools of thought about it. Surely on my 89, I replaced (as they failed in order), the Crank Sensor, and the DIS. The DIS I replaced twice, once with a Third Party part--which failed in 500 miles--then with an OEM FoMoCo DIS (which has about 1K miles and is going strong).

I replaced the Cam Sensor, though it never failed. I did it just not have to nickel and dime the issue any more. I spent two months with symptoms such as you describe, before I got those three components replaced.

I've had my car several months now. At first, I was addressing things on a weekly basis. Finally, all the old/worn/deteriorated parts (most electrical in nature) are replaced...and the car is starting to feel reliable. Hang in there with yours. If you keep after it, and replace the failed parts, you'll come to a better place with it, eventually. (Or so I like to believe...)

alan

Last edited:
If you keep after it, and replace the failed parts, you'll come to a better place with it, eventually. (Or so I like to believe...)

HA!!!!!!

No you'll just be so addicted to the damb things by then you won't REALIZE that you are suddenly nickle and diming more hi perf stuff on to it every wk:D

Adam

If your upshift light stays on while cranking the car, that indicates no crank sensor signal. Outside of that, I always keep a spare dis, coilpack, and cam sensor close, just in case one fails. If you find that this intermittent problem seems to occur after driving the vehicle and the engine/sensors are warm I would lean towards a dis problem.

chris

If you don't get an upshift light and all other related starting components have been addressed......is the ignition relay switch in the steering column ok ? Intermittant starting problems can be a result of a broken,cracked switch.When I bought my 90,many yrs ago, it took me some time and much frustration to find that problem.
z

Back