Recap on the Heater problem. Head gaskets!

91BLOWNSC

Welp it did turn out to be the old head gasket monster. Now I am gonna need some info on fixing this thing right. I have a winter car so I have all winter to fix the car. So far I know I should go with fel-pro head gaskets. And thats all i really know LOL. What other items should be necessities for this project(things i need to fix it right)? Where should I purchase all of these things. Just my local auto parts store? Also what kind of work should I get done while i am doing this head gasket job besides having the heads leveled. I don't have much money to spend but....any other ideas are welcome. Thanks!

I haven't replaced HG's on this car (yet)...

But, here is a little info. Make sure that you have the heads sent to a quality machine shop to have them pressure tested and magnafluxed (checked for cracks). This wouldn't be a bad time to have professional head work done to them (Bowl work, port work). However, if you are trying to keep costs down, just make sure that your valves are all in good shape and seating properly.

You'll want to get the fel-pro gaskets from a 94-95 SC. Since they were stronger than the earlier ones. I don't know if you want to get some sort of custom HG built (some have had copper head gaskets made) or they've O-ringed the block.

Regardless, you should invest in a set of ARP head studs. They are very strong and don't stretch making them a great upgrade that keeps the head from moving as much. You can find out here where to get them.

Make sure that the heads are milled only if they need it, otherwise you might be bumping compression ratio up a little bit. Make sure that the block is clean and that you chase all of the bolt holes. Dirty bolt holes can have as little as Half the specified torque applied to them when measured with a torque wrench.

Don't know if you block is warped or not, cause I would say you might want to get that decked as well.... Some guys do this other's don't. Just make sure the both surfaces are clean.

hmmm...

Thanks for the info....For the porting of the heads how much are we looking at? Cost wise that is. I wouldn't even know where to start to get a custom head gasket made...let alone 0-ringed. I just something thats going to last. Where do the fel-pro gaskets come from? I assume through a local auto parts store. Anything else cheap I can do to help performance....Oh and i know I am getting the valves reseated for whatever they do. Thanks again

Order a Felpro upper gasket set that includes the head gaskets. The kit cost about $115 at Autozone and includes all the gaskets you will need.

You will also need a set of ARP headbolts or studs, since the old ones are not reusable. I would also reccomend the studs since they can be used over and over again.

Send the heads to a local machine shop to be freshened up. This should include regrinding the valve seats and replacing the valve seals and guides if needed. You will also want to have the heads freshly decked to remove any warp and to create a smooth surface for proper sealing. Since this is usually accomplished by removing only .005 in. of material, compression gains are minimal.

Other things you will need. Haynes repair manual, new O2 sensors, spark plugs, coolant, oil, filter axnd a tube of permatex copper RTV. This would also be a good time to replace the plug wires if they are old.

David

well ****

Well crap! I just replaced my 02's and my plugs not to long ago. Dangit. Does that still mean i have to replace the damn things this soon? Most likley because of the coolant i suppose right? Ahh crap. Oh well. Thanks for the help guys. It is greatly appreciated. Whats that average amount of time of doing a project like this if someone who knows what there doing is working on the car?

No you don't have to replace either. And yes the O2sensors can be damaged by the coolant. You can try using the ones you have.

With someone who knows what they are doing the heads can be off in 4-5 hours. Getting the machine shop work will normally take a day or two, use this time to clean up the parts. A case of carb cleaner and a roll of shop towels along with an electric drill with a wire brush will make the job go much quicker. Reassembling the engine will usually take about 6-7 hours.

David

Thanks..

Thanks a lot David you have been a lot of help. Did check at autozone and they can get those gaskets for me as you said. One other question I had was I check jegs magazine and their website along with a couple others and the ARP head bolts were not available for the SC. It showed engines like the 351, the 302, and hte 289. Would autozone also be able to get these for me? I guess I should have asked and I was in a hurry for work so I didn' even think about it. Your help is appreciated.

Check the links section of this site...

There should be a link somewhere to point you in the direction of someone who sells ARP stud kit for the 3.8 SC. If nothing else, I *think* the ones from a 351 would work. Lot's of other things fit, like the rocker arms....

Someone here should know, it's just not me. :)

Back