Good spark plugs and gap?

90tbirdsc

Im in the process of upgrading the fuel system, supercharger and other things to my sc. I was wondering what everyone was running for plugs and what gap? Ill be installing screaming deamon coil packs and livewires from bill at scp if that makes a difference.

If you haven't yet upgraded your sc then I would stick to the stock gap. I use the autolite xp plugs. I believe it is part number xp103. I love those plugs. As for your coil pack. I would recommend against a screaming demon coil pack. You'll have better luck with a genuine oem coil pack from ford. As an FYI when it comes to ignition parts for our cars you will always do better with oem parts. Things like oem coil packs and ignition modules, etc. seem to work better on our cars.

When you get a new sc and start running more boost you'll want to decrease the gap you run on your plugs. I run .032 inches of gap with no issues. You'll always want to run as much gap as you can without issues.

Last edited:
What's your mods? Once I start up my car in the spring I'll have a ported late model 15% OD,mp plentum,42# injectors,Fmic,255lph fuel pump,75mm tb, Lmaf, quarter horse tune.

I might run 20% OD in the spring and fall in the cool weather.

Custom cam, ported heads, late model sc, mp inlet, 85mm tb, 85mm MAF, #60 injectors, 340 lph fuel pump, mp fmic, griffon radiator, mp raised top, roller rockers, 2800 rpm custom stall converter, jmodded 4r70w, and custom exhaust. Kooks headers are on the way. A fresh motor that was just punched out .020 over. I am just getting ready to start playing with be and a quarter horse.

I see you are running a lot of sc od. That said you'll probably need to reduce the plug gap. What intercooler are you running? That is quite a bit of od if you are running a stock IC. Folks on here do not recommend much above 5% od with a stock IC.

Last edited:
I run autolite 103's in mine at .035 gap. Good cheap plugs, i change them out every couple years preventatively so I can see how their life went. If your going to juice it up, you should check that anyways. As for screamin demon coilpacks, my 95 has one, I have never had a hiccup or problem at all. My opinion is to always keep an extra coilpack, but I wouldnt spend big money above the factory part either.

chris

Custom cam, ported heads, late model sc, mp inlet, 85mm tb, 85mm MAF, #60 injectors, 340 lph fuel pump, mp fmic, griffon radiator, mp raised top, roller rockers, 2800 rpm custom stall converter, jmodded 4r70w, and custom exhaust. Kooks headers are on the way. A fresh motor that was just punched out .020 over. I am just getting ready to start playing with be and a quarter horse.

I see you are running a lot of sc od. That said you'll probably need to reduce the plug gap. What intercooler are you running? That is quite a bit of od if you are running a stock IC. Folks on here do not recommend much above 5% od with a stock IC.

I have a 31x11x3 front mount and I'll have a snow stage 2 kit after everything else is hooked up and working good. So I don't think 15% OD is to much. 20% may be I'll have to check act temps.

I run autolite 103's in mine at .035 gap. Good cheap plugs, i change them out every couple years preventatively so I can see how their life went. If your going to juice it up, you should check that anyways. As for screamin demon coilpacks, my 95 has one, I have never had a hiccup or problem at all. My opinion is to always keep an extra coilpack, but I wouldnt spend big money above the factory part either.

chris

Do you think I should gap mine about the same as yours with my mods?

I tried 2 different screamin' demon coil packs and my car ran like ~~~~. I brought the car to the 2007 shootout and a lot of people saw me messing with it in the parking lot. Then Bill Evanoff brought me another screamin' demon to try and same thing, misfired like hell. I put the old 200k mile stock coil pack on it and ran great. He let me trade it back in for a 255 lph fuel pump.

I've heard some people have had good luck with them, but I think it's not needed. If Neibert can run 10's on a stock coil pack I doubt I'll be upgrading mine. Put the money to something else.

And I run Autolite 103's at .035"

Back