OIL press/coolant Temp Locations

fomoco74mav

Where is the location for the oil pressure sender and the Coolant temp sensor for the gauges. I want to add mechanical gauges but not interfere with the ECM sensors, just the gauges.

1 easy the other a little tougher

I f I am not mistaken, the sending unit for the gauge for water temp is located on the thermostat housing very close to the bleeder valve. The one the ECM uses in located on the PS of the intake manifold using a small pipe connected to the heater hoses.

The Oil Pressure sending unit is located down on the front cover behind the PS bracket. Pretty much just look at the water temp sending unit and keep looking down on the front cover and you will see another sending unit. That is for Oil Pressure gauge and Check Engine light. You will have to run a Tee fitting setup to keep the Factory one, then add your mechanical gauge or jumper wires so the Oil Pressure light doesn't come on in the dash.

I would also think twice about running a mechanical oil pressure into the drivers compartment. If you get an oil leak in the gauge or the platic line breaks inside the car you will have possibly very hot oil getting into the interior of the car. Go with an electronic one for some safety.

Smitty

I f I am not mistaken, the sending unit for the gauge for water temp is located on the thermostat housing very close to the bleeder valve. The one the ECM uses in located on the PS of the intake manifold using a small pipe connected to the heater hoses.

The Oil Pressure sending unit is located down on the front cover behind the PS bracket. Pretty much just look at the water temp sending unit and keep looking down on the front cover and you will see another sending unit. That is for Oil Pressure gauge and Check Engine light. You will have to run a Tee fitting setup to keep the Factory one, then add your mechanical gauge or jumper wires so the Oil Pressure light doesn't come on in the dash.

I would also think twice about running a mechanical oil pressure into the drivers compartment. If you get an oil leak in the gauge or the platic line breaks inside the car you will have possibly very hot oil getting into the interior of the car. Go with an electronic one for some safety.

Smitty

You are correct on the locations.

Regarding the safety issue: You can buy gauge isolation kits that include a length of piping filled with antifreeze to reduce such risks. Just FYI.
http://www.autometer.com/productPDF/1124.pdf

I have another suggestion, too!

1) Perform the gauge mod that makes the in-dash gauge a gauge, not an idiot lever (see, for instance, the thread at http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=106328 ) .

2) Mount your mechanical gauge under the hood.

3) Use the mechanical to calibrate (some what!) the electric one inside the car.

4) Profit!

RwP

Smitty

Is it the two wire at the heater hose nipple or the one wire in the heater pipe?

Is it the two wire at the heater hose nipple or the one wire in the heater pipe?

The one wire in the heater pipe is normally the Cold Engine Lock Out for the EATC. If you don't have one, or aren't going to use it, you can use that for a temp gauge.

The two wire is for the ECU, don't mess with that one :D

If you're looking over the radiator at the motor, find the bleed valve. The sensor to your left (car's right) of that is the ECU's sensor, the one to your right (the car's left) is the gauge sensor. The third sensor is in the tube running down the car's right side of the intake valley (your left looking over the radiator), about half way back according to the EVTM placement chart.

RwP

Back