Body side moldings dilema. early cars.

ricardoa1

I'd like some feedback on this matter, possibly from someone with body shop experience.

My question is in regards to the early moldings. I want to reinstall them on the anniversary, problem is they are all curled up from removal
I'm trying a technique to flatten them by using boards and some weight. If successful my thoughts are to install them, well I would like for them to be painted
Here is my question. Should I install and paint on the car. Or should I paint them off the car.

Two problems.
If taping after installed there will be over spray in the nooks creating a paint line.
If not installed I fear the paint will crack when handling the molding. They will need to be shaped make straight etc.
So how did you guys paint the trim? Gary would probably know.

Personally I would find another set that aren't all distorted from previous removal. Some moldings have a thin metal reinforcing strip molded inside the plastic to maintain shape. Remove the new moldings with fishing line to cut/saw through the mounting adhesive. Lay them on a flat rigid surface and remove the remaining adhesive. Clean thoroughly, scuff the surface, prime, and then paint them off the car. Reattach them with the proper adhesive which should be a 3M trim adhesive tape.

Good luck.

Bryan

Im hoping to use the ones I have here. I see the metal strip behind it. I fear it will be a disaster either way. But at least if installed one can peel it and re-apply before painting, I just dont want the overspray.

Best solution is to just leave it natural color. :rolleyes: But then id have to paint the bumper.

Anybody have measurements of where they get installed? And the best technique to make sure they are straight and wont look wavy, I dont want them to look mickey mouse,

I wonder how the factory got them perfect everytime.

to install, run tape from the top of molding on rear bumper to the top of the molding to the front bumper, step back and look how straght it looks, place the molding just under the tape line and take your time, should work. good luck.

Back