Timing Cover ?

Scott Long

Are the timing covers for a 94 SC and a 4.2L truck motor identical. My friend is rebuilding his 94 SC and needs a timing cover. He is also wanting to build a stroker so if he can also use the timing cover from a 4.2L that would be easier to source one out.

The timing chain cover on 94/95 NA 3.8L engines in Mustangs and Tbirds are the same as the 94/95 SC.

As Todd stated, the 94/5 Mustang and T-birds show to have the same part #. All 3.8L/4.2L timing covers will bolt on, but the two things that are critical for them to work on the SC, one is the mount for the crank sensor and the other is the water pump. 4.2L engines and later model 3.8's have the proper mount for the crank sensor, but they require a different water pump which will interfere with the supercharger and coolant line routings. You have to be able to use the SC water pump for the plumbing to fit.

Here is a cross reference list I found. No guarantees, but should help you out.

COUGAR 94-95 6-232 (3.8L), Fed

LINCOLN CONTINENTAL 94

MUSTANG 94-95 6-232 (3.8L)

SABLE 94-95 6-232 (3.8L)

TAURUS 94-95 6-232 (3.8L)

THUNDERBIRD 94-95 6-232 (3.8L), w/o supercharger; Calif

THUNDERBIRD 94-95 6-232 (3.8L), w/o supercharger; Fed

COUGAR 94-95 6-232 (3.8L), Calif

WINDSTAR 95 6-232 (3.8L)

Last edited:
any idea what year 4.2L crank to use? I remember some were supposedly external balanced and you need to use an internal balanced crank right?

any idea what year 4.2L crank to use? I remember some were supposedly external balanced and you need to use an internal balanced crank right?
If you want to do a stroker, you are best off buying a new crank. The 4.2 is not externally balanced, but due to the extreme light weight of the stock rods/pistons, sometimes the OE crank cannot be balanced without adding weight which means significant extra $$. Buying new ensures that you don't have that problem and well, a new crank is better than an old, worn one.

If you want to do a stroker, you are best off buying a new crank. The 4.2 is not externally balanced, but due to the extreme light weight of the stock rods/pistons, sometimes the OE crank cannot be balanced without adding weight which means significant extra $$. Buying new ensures that you don't have that problem and well, a new crank is better than an old, worn one.

Dave don't you have stroker kits available for purchase? I have heard it is a really nice rotating assembly.

Back