Need some power steering advice, HELP!!!

JT's03

The power steering was working fine until I pulled it off for a few months for a project I have had going on. I disconnected both lines and sealed these with duct tape. While I had the whole assemblly off I remove the ps pump from the bracket (so I could clean and paint the brcket and pump) by using a pair of channel locks and a special made tool adapted. Put it all back together, finished the project and reinstalled eveything the same way it come off.

The ps pump spin freely and does not feel locked up. I tried bleeding with the front tires off the ground by turning steering wheel lock to lock with the motor off. I noticed ps fluid was pushing up in the resivior as well as air bubbles coming out. This did not do any good as I still had no power steer. I then tried the same procedure with the engine running with same result. I turned wheel lock to lock over 100 times and still did not work.

Next up I disconected the low pressure line from the bottom of the pump and capped the nipple, I then put that line into a bucket and cut wheel lock to lock to bleed it at the rack while the mean time I kept the resivior full. Still nothing.

The power steering pump does not squeal or make any noise to be honest so I'm wondering if the pump may be bad. Any advice on this would be greatlly appreciated. I'm going to swing by the jy tomorrow after work and pick up a cheap replacement to see if this fixes the issue. If it does not I will be taking the rack off for further trouble shooting unless someone here has another idea. Thanks for any and all input on this.

-Johnny

Last edited:
I replace a pump with one from Advance Auto, put it all back together but it wouldn't work. Took back an put another pump on and that fixed my problem.

Back