Help ID vac/elec fitting

jclars

I posted this as a oh-by-the-way on my melt down post, and didnt get any feedback. I have been identifying critical systems on my SC engine transplant and can not definitively ID the fitting shown in the right of the pic. The one with the green tape on it is for the window wash system.

Also, there appears to be a two prong electrical plug that is missing. Where is this on the wiring harness?

Thanks,
John L.

See pic posted here (cant seem to attach a duplicate pic from another post):

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=128815

Last edited:
vac /elec fitting

Can't tell you what that is but the plug should be attached to the harness where the round plug comes through the firewall on the left.

Cruise control was moved over. The vacuum hose with the yellow release button is currently at the frame under the floor board, waiting for a brake pedal to be mounted.

I need to look at that pigtail again. It took a circuitous route, so to speak, from under the fender and into the kick panel.

Thanks so far.

John L.

I just revisited my part locator pics and found what I think is it, parked on the LH shock absorber tower/fender. It is on the right in the pic. The MC tank is showing to the left.

John L.

Attachments

• DSCN0066.jpg
    DSCN0066.jpg
    377.4 KB · Views: 82
Is the Thunderbird a 1989 model?

If so, that electrical component on the vacuum tree might be a boost bleed solenoid. It was deleted in 1990 and all subsequent years.

Good catch. It is a 1989. So if that is the case, there is no need for it on this model either? Were there electrical connections involved? There appear to be two metal prongs inside an elliptical opening.

I am simply wanting to tidy up the firewall, and I am now down to the vacuum tree (with 2-3 active branches left), the windshield wash connections and this thing. So I guess I can unplug it and see if it makes a difference...

Thanks,
John L.

If you are using the 1989 SC computer and harness, there should be a plug for it, and programming in the computer that activates the solenoid in reverse gear and maybe certain other conditions. If you are using your own harness, or one from a 1990+ car, there will be no plug there, as far as I know. And I don't think the programming for the solenoid will be in the computer either, but I don't know that for sure.

The absence of the solenoid should not cause any problems as far as I know. I think the worst thing it might do is throw a "Check Engine" light if the 1989 computer notices it is missing. But I doubt it will even do that.

Actually, it was a complete transplant from the 89. I have plenty of other issues throwing the CEL, so this can just be heaped on top. I plan on eventually getting the QuarterHorse chip to delete some of these, so it's good to keep a list of what all I am deleting.

Funny, I have googled this thing to death and cant find another post of the part anywhere.

Thanks for the help,

John L.

PS - now onto another post about deleting the Passive Restraint Module...

vac /elec fitting

Mine is a 90 and there is no plug on the vac fitting but there is two female harness plugs on the main harness. when it's bolted in the car it looks like something is pluged into the vac fitting.

Attachments

• 000_0029.jpg
    000_0029.jpg
    300.1 KB · Views: 66
  • 000_0030.jpg
    000_0030.jpg
    266.4 KB · Views: 64
  • 000_0032.jpg
    000_0032.jpg
    324.1 KB · Views: 57
  • 000_0033.jpg
    000_0033.jpg
    312.6 KB · Views: 61
Thanks for the pics Evil1. However, I detached mine from my truck for a better view (see pic) and it appears I have an extra piece. However, with the assist I found my missing wire plug. It is actually a pigtail sticking out from the thru-hole connector as several of you mentioned.

The wire colors are green/purple stripe, and red. Fairly heavy gauge wire for such a small connector. Couldnt see it in my newly acquired 1989 EVTM.

There is also a nylon covered "vent" (pointing away in the pic).

Letters embossed on the side are E9SE 9H465 AA.

Thanks,
John L.

Attachments

• Vac fitting LH firewall.jpg
    Vac fitting LH firewall.jpg
    306.1 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
Finally realized that the vac line goes to the bypass actuator. The actuator has been active, so not sure this item is needed like posted earlier. S_Mazza hit paydirt on the part ID.

I then searched on bypass and sure enough, a post from 2011 mentions the 89 SC as having a valve to control boost. No explanation as to what it was controlling, as this particular post omitted it with better boost response. So I guess I have my answer. David Niebert in that post recommended leaving it plugged in, but coupling the vacuum hoses for a direct vac line to the bypass actuator.

I would still like a better explanation of what this thing was supposed to do before wholesalely eliminating it. But then if my objective is to clean things up, I guess I should welcome the chance to further clean up the firewall!

Thanks everyone! Sorry for not tracking the vac line down in the first place.

John L.

for full closure, here is the post concerning boost control for 89 models:

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120850

I believe the point of it was that Ford thought it might not be prudent for SC owners to be hitting boost in reverse. ;) So it forced the boost bypass actuator open in that gear, meaning you could not hit boost in reverse.

And it may have done the same thing while the engine was still warming up. I am not sure on that.

I think the posted in the thread you linked may have just had a bad solenoid.

Back