Replacing supercharger coupler, have questions.

archerman0531

has anyone replaced the coupler before? And if so, did you have to pull the whole supercharger off to take the nose off? Or can I just loosen the mounting bolts enough to lift up the supercharger to get to the bottom nose bolts? And does the top hat have to come off as well? And does anyone know the torque specs for the nose bolts, top hat bolts(if it has to be taken off) and supercharger mounting bolts? Thanks

Last edited:
I pulled my SC off when I did mine, was much easier on the bench then bent over the bird and less messy, it is pretty easy. As long as you get everything disconnected before you pull it, and hook it back up correctly when you put it back on. I did not pull my top hat off when I did it. I don't know the torque values for those. Take your time, mark everything and take pics if you think you need to.
Jerry

Thank you very much for the info. About how long did it take you? Oddly enough ford doesn't have a time for remove/replace the SC. Is there any gaskets that NEED to be replaced when I take it off, or are they good unless I rip them? Thanks

About 30 minutes the first time because I had never done it before. There are no gaskets that you can rip when you remove the SC, it is mounted on top of the intake with 3 bolts. The InterCooler tubing will need to be resealed when you disconnect the top tube. Leave the the Throttle Body and inlet hooked up to the SC so you only have to disconnect the rubber intake tube at the TB. I bought my coupler off ebay with oil, bearings, coupler. I bought the teflon seal kit for the intercooler tubing and thought they worked well.
Jerry

I also bought the coupler and oil off eBay, I didn't realize that I was gonna have to take the sc off and didn't buy a Teflon gasket for the inter cooler. Is that something that is messed up usually upon removal, or you just replaced it because it was off? Thanks

I bought the Teflon gasket because I had no luck using the sealants to get the piping sealed back. Yes you will need to reseal the ic piping when you remove it, unless it has tefs on it already. The Teflons are reusable and sealed great for me. They have the whole set on Ebay cheap also.
Jerry

Ok, they appear to be there already. I might put a thin layer of diff cover sealant around the Teflon. Thanks for the help. I'm a ford mechanic and it is so annoying that Ford doesnt have any info on procedures or torque specs for any part of the SC that I can find, and I have access to Ford/rotundas website.

its an easy job. pull the top tube and blower top. 4 bolts at the top, 2 at the upper IC connection. Then 3 bolts for the SC. Remove the blower belt, remove intake tube, pop linkage off at throttle body. slide off the pcv rubber hose from the back of the SC inlet. Loosen clamp on the baypass valve. It takes 10 minutes to get the SC off.

The coupler change is pretty simple, then use some rtv to seal up the superchager. Let it dry, then fill with fluid. You can use RTV for the upper IC pipe connection and the sc top to prevent small boost leaks.

Once you do this you will see how simple it really is.

Back