Shortning an M90

Crazycanadian

Hey guys hows it going? I picked up a used M90 from a super coupe for a project of mine... Unfortunately its a little to long for my application.. I was wondering if anyone knew if there was a way to shorten the nose piece with out major machine work??

For anyone who's curious this is my project car... Its 92 Mazda 323.. It has a 2.5L V6 in it... its the KLG4 variant of the motor from a 2001 626.. There isn't much stock left in the car.. I have been slowly building it/tweaking it for SMF class in autocross...

couple of pictures.. its pretty ugly but it goes pretty good..
2012-09-26220303_zpsedad5cb3.jpg

7201208016_ae46f7c93d_b.jpg

I am trying to get it close to the length of an M62/45...So some where around 5 - 6" shorter....

I am trying to fit the M90 under my alternator, where the ac compressor would normally be.... Its been done before with M62's...

If I can't make it work there, I'll need to build a custom upper intake plenum... If I go that rout I am curious if I'll run into problems running the super charger partially upside down..

There are shorter snouts out there. Jaguar used one. But I don't think it's 5 or 6 inches shorter.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JAGUAR-XJR-...Parts_Accessories&hash=item1e6f1888e9&vxp=mtr

I think a BBK blower kit for a Mustang had a shorter snout as well - something close to the Jaguar one.

Bear in mind that the snouts may or may not interchange ... the rotor diameter remained the same for years and years, but there have been variations in the cases.

I wouldn't say it's too difficult for a machinist to shorten the snout ... but it's not something most people could do at home.

Not to hijack a thread, but how about lengthing one? Looking to put on my '55 272 y-block, carbed and longer would center it up on the intake much better.
Scored a buick/pontiac m90 for $20 at local scrapper, it's 1.5-2.5 in longer (snout), but more would be better. Any factory snouts longer out there, or "spacers" ava?

Adam

Not to hijack a thread, but how about lengthing one? Looking to put on my '55 272 y-block, carbed and longer would center it up on the intake much better.
Scored a buick/pontiac m90 for $20 at local scrapper, it's 1.5-2.5 in longer (snout), but more would be better. Any factory snouts longer out there, or "spacers" ava?

Adam

Grand prix m90s have a longer snout same fit

Adam

I don't know of any longer than that. You could make a custom pulley to go with a modular pulley hub (sold for GP blowers). Note that the pulley-to-shaft fit is different on the GM blowers as compared to the Ford ones.

I don't know of any longer than that. You could make a custom pulley to go with a modular pulley hub (sold for GP blowers). Note that the pulley-to-shaft fit is different on the GM blowers as compared to the Ford ones.

Didn't know the pullies were diff. I have the hub for ford m90 and a custom cog pulley, thought I could just slap it on the gm snout. Damn, this project just keeps turning in deeper an deeper. How r the ford and GM shaft/pullies different?

Adam

Didn't know the pullies were diff. I have the hub for ford m90 and a custom cog pulley, thought I could just slap it on the gm snout. Damn, this project just keeps turning in deeper an deeper. How r the ford and GM shaft/pullies different?

Adam
you can get an mps pulley system for the gm snout with the press on hub from zzp. or i have a stock 3.8 inch pulley you can have. The gm is a press on pulley and the ford is cog style slide on the mps has three 8mm allen bolts in it that allows you to change pulleys without pressing it off. the gm also runs a larger pulley because they arnt inner cooled and the grand prix doesnt spin them as fast.

Last edited:

Adam

The GM M90 (like was used on a 99 GTP) uses a larger diameter press on pulley with no keyway, the Ford M90 has a keyed shaft and uses a nut to retain the pulley.

You are not going to be able to shorten either snout 5 or 6 inches.

David

The GM M90 (like was used on a 99 GTP) uses a larger diameter press on pulley with no keyway, the Ford M90 has a keyed shaft and uses a nut to retain the pulley.

You are not going to be able to shorten either snout 5 or 6 inches.

David

Any reason why?? I have seen a GM unit that was shortened.. It was all custom done of course...

Eaton0002_zps47dbf756.jpg

If you shorten it enough it could become a M80:eek:

The shop I knew of that machined new snouts is no longer doing it. If you have $ to toss away go ahead and speak too zzp on the GM stuff and he may have someone that can help you out, but it will be $.

I wouldnt send ZZP a dime.

Back