Ford Stealership's mechanic said...

My brother wanted him to install a high volume oil-pump in his SC while he had the oil pan off and he told him that a high-volume oil pump would not work. He said that it was too big and it would not fit, and it would suck all the oil from the pan during high RPM's. He said that the oil pan was not made for a high volume oil-pump. That sounds fishy to me! What do you all think???:confused:
dirtybird91

Oil Pump

I believe it is a pressure thing not a suction thing. Since the SC 3.8 is kind of a hybred motor it never came with a high flow oilpump on it, so it's all speculation. However, using the Cobra motor as an example, it uses a highflow oil pump on it with a 5 qt pan and has no problems. I installed a HF pump on a new 4.6 motor with a 5 qt pan for my SC and it works fine. So far dry pan from to much suction, LOL. I think the tech was thinking Chevy motors , some of the really old push rod type, those had that kind of problem. If you are going to do it, you might as well put a windage tray on it as well.

Thanks dude! That is very good advise. We already though about the windage tray, but we couldn't get our hands on one in time. I sort of though the HV-Oil Pump would work, because like you said it is a five quart pan.:D
Also i'm extra lucky to talk to someone who has actually done it!
dirtybird91:cool:

Qualifier

Hey remember, I said I did it on a 4.6, not 3.8. One is modular one is not. Not that that alone makes a great big difference, but they are different. One thing that is the same is the oil has only so many places it can go and it has to come back to the pan. Did you do this already?

Qualifier

Hey remember, I said I did it on a 4.6, not 3.8. One is modular one is not. Not that that alone makes a great big difference, but they are different. One thing that is the same is the oil has only so many places it can go and it has to come back to the pan. Did you do this already?

No,
I have not done it yet, and it's too late because they put a stock oil-pump on it. I was just going to be pissed at them if they were wrong!
dirtybirdie:D

Then what is it driven by? The cam sensor/distributor (on N/A 3.8's ) is mounted sideways in the timing cover pointing down at the oil filter adapter. Oil pumps on cam-in-block engines are usually driven by the distributor gear.

Not saying you're wrong or anything but if its in the pan then you'd end up with TWO take off's from the cam. Probably at opposite ends. Just doesn't seem typical of domestic V engine design is all.

Parker you could be right, because i was just going by what the ***** mechanic stated to my brother. I just may be very wrong!
dirtybirdie

The oil pump is externally mounted on the timing cover and the mechanic is full of crap. It is the part that the oil cooler and filter are attached to. The late model pump (94-95) flows more oil because the gears in the pump are wider and have more teeth. I just installed one on my engine last week while doing a cam upgrade.

It won't flow to much oil or create to much pressure, it will however increase flow and pressure.

The real problem was finding a pump. According to the Ford dealer, the one I got was the last one in the country and came out of an obsolete parts warehouse. I find this hard to believe but Ford has done stranger things.

David

Back