Thermostat

90whtbrd

Have new Motorcraft thermostat from Rock Auto on the way. Did a search last night but couldn't find an answer to my question. Is there a proper placement of the thermostat in its housing, the vent I mean.

Thanks for your rapid reply. I have never had a car that fought me every step of the way, so I don't want to leave anything to chance. I believe it was you who put me hep to the plug wire placement/firing order, a huge THANK YOU on that one.

Thanks for your rapid reply. I have never had a car that fought me every step of the way, so I don't want to leave anything to chance. I believe it was you who put me hep to the plug wire placement/firing order, a huge THANK YOU on that one.

No problem. You may also want to put a little RTV or even a couple dabs of glue around the edge of the thermostat to act as an adhesive to hold the thermostat from sliding down out of position while you are trying to get the bolts into the thermostat cover.

David

Last time I cleaned the housing up real nice with a wire brush on the bench grinder, then wiped the housing down with a little acetone.

I used a little super glue to hold the new stat in place in the housing. Applied the super glue sparingly to the recessed area of the housing where the stat sits. Super glue cures quicker than RTV when holding the stat in place.

A light coating of RTV (black is all I had) on the gasket surfaces which helps to hold it in place. It was back together with no leaks.

The motorcraft thermostat is supposed click into the housing better than the aftermarket ones. You can bet there will be glue or black rtv to help hold it in place. Going to use the thicker felpro blue as well. Thanks to all that provided input.

Back