skip a beat

red766

I'm cruisin along, and then decide to exercise the motor......so if I feather the rpms up, gradually, no problem - the sc kicks in and the speed increases.....but if I give it to much pedal/throttle then RB (redbird - my car name) bucks, gulps, skips a beat, but only for a split second, or a few split seconds in a row - so I let up on the pedal, and back to a gradual increase.
any ideas on where to focus my attention...the boost is around 10 when he bucks......I've thought about pulling/replacing the injectors ???

Don't mess with the injectors yet.

I would say it's a 70% chance that it's worn out spark plugs. Do you know when they were changed?

Also some chance that it might be a fuel or spark issue. Do you hear any ticking or pinging noises before it jerks?

agreed

Then check for boost leaks. If not any of that check for codes even if your check engine light is not on.
Plug wire are sneaky bass turds (sic). I have had relatively low mileage motorcraft parts go bad. And a bad wire will kill a coil. My car with bad wires was opposite. At 4-7 lbs boost it would miss but slam it to the floor and we were off to the races:D. The secondary ignition circuit creates a lot of varied symptoms from SC to SC. Remember no more than 7000 ohms resistance per wire. And no voltage leaks either.

Make sure MAF is plugged in all the way(personal experience:rolleyes:). Also DIS could be a issue or cam, crank sensor issue.

Not a bad idea to replace everything with the plugs and wires if money allows. Then you are good to go for a long time!:D

wires and plugs....

No ticking nor pinging before the prob occurs.

Spark plugs are new in last 4 months. I put awsf-34pp in.
Spark plug wires I bought used 5 months ago, they are: Magnecor KV85 competition pure siliconelllll

My money is on plugs or wires.

Dealt with this very thing a couple months ago with a bad set of new wires I put on.

Dealing with it again, as I only replaced 3 of the old/new wires.
So tomorrow I am replacing the 3 on the passenger side with the new ones.

go out in the dark and watch all the wires VERY closely to see any sign of spark jumping. Also a mist bottle of water will help show the spark jump.
DO NOT use any flammable spray product!! (carb cleaner creates an eyebrow synging fire ball!) :eek:

No ticking nor pinging before the prob occurs.

Spark plugs are new in last 4 months. I put awsf-34pp in.
Spark plug wires I bought used 5 months ago, they are: Magnecor KV85 competition pure siliconelllll

Hmm. Could be a loose plug connection.

The plugs are the stock spec ... they should be fine, unless one is cracked or something. Did you check the gap when you installed them?

wires / plugs....

yes, checked gap b4 install.
will check if maf connection is on tight..
will buy xp103 (will xp5144 work just as well ?)

would like to buy new set of spark plug wires, but would like recommendations.. anybody have a recommendation...

yes, checked gap b4 install.
will check if maf connection is on tight..
will buy xp103 (will xp5144 work just as well ?)

would like to buy new set of spark plug wires, but would like recommendations.. anybody have a recommendation...

What gap did you use?

The plugs you bought should function fine. They work in my car at about 15psi.

Stock spark plug wires are fine for 99% of people as well.

I gapped them at .052 or .054....can't remember....

That's the stock gap and should be ok at 10-12 psi. More will probably require a smaller gap.

I think it's most likely a bad connection somewhere. Either the plug wires or the coil wires & grounds. But maybe something is off with a plug. I don't know how to test it other than inspecting everything.

My 90 5-speed S/C was doing the exact same thing when warm....No prob colder

Found a tear/pin hole in one plug wire boot.....Found a fairly new set at the local pik-a-part on a taurus 3.0.......Cheep and fix'd da issue!!

PS....The labor of removing the back side Taurus wires made me wish I just wrote a check!!!....But I'm a junk-yard....."JUNKIE"!!

Back