Motor Oil

johnwartjr

Was recently discussing motor oil with a friend.

On a stock 95 SC with 180k+, what weight oil should I be running?

I've always used 5w30, because the manual says to, but the friend suggested on an older car with high mileage, I might want to run a thicker oil.

What are your thoughts?

Well considering oil weight doesn't refer to thickness but viscosity, heat has more to do with choice not mileage. If your burning oil the oil real thing do to is rebuild it, if not don't worry about it.

As long as the engine is still tight and does not use a great deal of oil stay with the 5W-30. If you have done oil & filter changes regularly with a quality oil the engine should be in good shape.

If you are concerned about the condition of the engine do a used oil analysis of the oil in the engine when it is close to time to change the oil. The oil analysis will show if there are abnormal wear metals in the oil or other problems.

As far as the oils advertised for high mileage vehicles, I really believe that is marketing hype form the major oil companies.

I continue to use 10w30, changed at the Ford recommended 5000 mile interval with cheap chain store filters, on my car with 290,000. Engine still purrs; no oil fouled anything. :)

since we don't have an oil pressure gauge worth a damn to tell what hot, cold, and driving oil pressure truly is at, I run 10w40 in my car.

Back