Extrude Honing

Steve Meyers

Any one know of a good place to have this done?
That's reasonably priced and a good turn around time?

Thanks
Steve

lol

Steve what were you looking into having done? They are expensive and turn around time slow. The only time Ive used them is when Ive wanted to keep a factory appearence and get some HP. For instance I had a stock 5.0 efi intake extrude honed in the past. Ended up flowing on par with a gt40/cobra intake but with a more consistant volume per runner. Would have cost me the same at the time to buy an aftermarket intake that would have flown better

I had my sc intake done years ago, it was expensive, but turn around was pretty quick. Fortunately i am a little over an hour away from them so i was able to drop off and pick up. Got a tour of the place. Very impressive place. I was amazed how huge the place was. Automotive is a very small percentage of their business.

Kevin is that the building I always see just off the turnpike?

I thought a few times about them, but like others have said, I've heard they are expensive.

When you are stuck with stock parts and no aftermarket its a great alternative to getting the most out of what you have. It not only smooths out but also enlarges. It be interesting to see more recent flow tests comparing extrude honed componants compared to ported. Like a set of aftermarket heads. So it would help in forced induction just as porting would.

I did it once on some 4.6L headers. There was some improvement. If I was to do it again, I would manually "rough" port the headers before extrude horning.

I guess an increase in volume if needed would make a difference but extrude honing is mainly deburing and smoothing of surfaces which with forced induction will be a waste

When air is forced it doesn't need as smooth of surfaces as would sucked air

i was thinking it would be a great benefit to have my mpx inlet extrude honed. Ive heard that quite a bit of material can be removed and in the inlet I think this would be worth a shot as this is one of the problem areas for flow. If im wrong please correct me but the other way of doing it would be pretty pricey and I would risk screwing up my expensive inlet plenum.

Dave. If you can hand port it extrude honing will not be a benifit $ wise. It helps when you have parts you cant otherwise hand port

Dave. If you can hand port it extrude honing will not be a benifit $ wise. It helps when you have parts you cant otherwise hand port

An mpx inlet port would be harder than the return plenum to port unless you cut it in half an welded it back together. Ideally I was thinking of having the back of the inlet plenum cut off and have some material added to the back but on the reviews I have read the bad thing about eh is that it wont get to the inner bends that well. It will get the stuff on the outside good but it doesnt get the inner that well. I am trying to maximize the performance of the 1 off mpx I have built and I think I can breach the 400 hp mark if I tweak the little things that hold the platform back, I have heard the inlet plenum is the biggest culprit. I am buying the extrude honed return plenum from steve and my intake manifold was ported to match my heads @ stegemier so the inlet plenum is the only thing that hasnt been improved upon.

Id seriously ask Charles Wagner about it. Hed probably know if moding the inlet is worth it of not. Keeping in mind the restrictions will start at the maf then intake pipe then TB then inlet then SC. Each part will only flow so much CFM. I know you know this already. I just have a feeling the restrictions will end up before the inlet an dnot the inlet itself.

I used an MPX for my 4.6 v8 car and had custom made an inlet for it. I think Kevin Leitman made some crazy inlet stuff for his. Unsure what he did with that stuff because hes going centrifigal now. Maybe he did some testing

ive got a 9 in k&n lightning maf and an mp 3.5 intake im all good there. I thought it was common knowledge that opening up the inlet would help if im wrong please forgive me but the inside of the mpx inlet has rough casting that could definately be improved upon but for most would be cost prohibitive. If we stop trying to improve parts on the 3.8 sc platform to make it break barriers that havnt been possible in the past I will just follow the heard and go with a bigger twin screw as I will never turbo charge my super coupe(no disrespect intended) I want mine to remain to be a supercoupe for as long as I own it on its 3.8 supercharged platform and try to find a way to get it over 400 hp with an m90. Then if I need another 100hp i will throw a 100 shot wet kit on it for the two or three times a year I race it lol. Its easy to do what everyone else has done to a certain point but if you expect a different outcome you have to go a different route like Rico has with his inlet. The MPX inlet is a great piece but if it would flow more I think it would cause aits to go down and improve hp and tq #s. If anyone has any other ideas behind opening up the inlet let me know.

Dave i agree. I like the idea. I wonder though if it is like cylinder head ports, where if they are too smooth sometimes that can hurt performance? I am certain someone out here has sent the inlet out for some porting and can shed some light on this.

Dave i agree. I like the idea. I wonder though if it is like cylinder head ports, where if they are too smooth sometimes that can hurt performance? I am certain someone out here has sent the inlet out for some porting and can shed some light on this.

I would think that would only affect possibly the intake where fuel atomization is a factor and the surface needs to be rough

Dave

I'm all about trying new things but I always look at it from all aspects. First off is the inlet the restriction? Is the MAF...Heck is it the blower itself. Depends on the combo.

But Ill just throw some numbers out there and see what we come up with.

80mm=3.14952728
85mm=3.346372735
90mm=3.54321819
95mm=3.740063645

How many times you see a 3.5" intake with an 85mm TB and an 80mm MAF

Now according to Accufab here are there publicized flow ratings for TB]s

65 MM - 664 CFM
70 MM - 787 CFM
70 MM - 896 CFM (Race version)
75 MM - 924 CFM
75 MM - 1045 CFM (Race version)
80 MM - 1142 CFM
85 MM - 1322 CFM
90 MM - 1369 CFM
105 MM - 1550 CFM

Flow of course doesnt always have to just with orifice size. However it gives an idea. And I know there is MP inlet flow ratings as well as the amount of air movement the MPX can achieve. Charles Wagner had tested all teh stock componants back in the day as well. Unsure where we can find that info. Maybe on here. I guess taking all things into consideration you can figure out where restrictions are. Using the accufab info will at least give you an idea if the intake is a restriction compared to your TB..Just need to find out what the flow of that inlet is.

Swaintech makes a high flow coating which i had used on my old Dominion III blower, return plenum and modified MP inlet and lower intake. That may be worth looking into..Also thermal barriers and emmiters...

http://swaintech.com/race-coatings/automotive-coatings/automotive-coatings-price-sheet/

Those are some random thouhts for now.

Back