Late Model SC Rod Issue

90sc35thann

OK a question to the engine builders here. As an FYI I have a PM out to Dalke but figured I would post here.

I bought a set of used late model rods from a member here. No issues there at all. While i was cleaning them up I decided to press out the old wrist pin bushings and press in new ones. All of that went without incident. This is the issue.

My new .020 pistons (correct part number BTW and the pistons are right) have a wrist pin diameter of .912 inches (this jives with the spec's in the Ford service manual).

My issue is this. The new wrist pin bushings have an ID of .882 inches. Which makes them .030 too small and this is assuming there is no wrist pin to bushing clearance. For the newer folks here the late model rods are not pressed on. They are floating wrist pin designs, hence the bushings.

So my question is should I trash these rods, and secure another set and not be stupid again or should I take the rods I have to a machinist and see if they can bore them out?

I am so agrevated right now.

There is usually a part number on the rods .. an E9 would be an early style, the late models should have an F4 on them. Better off to get the correct rod instead of trying to machine it to fit. Your first indication should have been the pins needing to be pressed out .. the late model ones just slide in and out of the rod bushing.

- Dan

There is usually a part number on the rods .. an E9 would be an early style, the late models should have an F4 on them. Better off to get the correct rod instead of trying to machine it to fit. Your first indication should have been the pins needing to be pressed out .. the late model ones just slide in and out of the rod bushing.

- Dan

I don't think you understand my question. I know these are late model rods. I replaced the bushings in the wrist pin end and the ID of the new bushings is too small. I didn't indicate I pressed out the wrist pin. I pressed out the old bushings.

I had the same issue with some rods I purchased new from Eagle a while back. Instead of going through all the trouble of returning everything and waiting..I just honed the rod bushing out to the correct diameter, worked fine for me. So to answer your question, yes, a machine shop that reconditions rods can fix those for you :)

I had the same issue with some rods I purchased new from Eagle a while back. Instead of going through all the trouble of returning everything and waiting..I just honed the rod bushing out to the correct diameter, worked fine for me. So to answer your question, yes, a machine shop that reconditions rods can fix those for you :)

How long did it take?

Well I did my own, but I have access to a rod machine and have training on one...took me about 2 hours to do all of mine. I don't see any reason why a local shop couldn't get them back to you in a couple of days.

Thank you all for your help. I dropped my rods off to the machinist this morning. He said the rod bushings are always machine to fit and would take care of them ASAP. The bushings are correct and installed properly they just need bored out. .032 inches to be exact. :eek:

Back