rear shocks

sonrider657

My 1994 SC has suddently developed a clunking sound from the rear end. It happens when goving over small bumps. My guess is that it is a broken shock and/or mount but I have not had it on a lift to check it out.

Are the factory auto-ride-control shocks still available? If not, what shocks would be best to install (assuming that is the problem)?

The Ford-logo'ed ARC shocks are no longer available, no.

Tokiko made them for Ford - the Illumina IIs for the MN12s are drop in replacements, however, the valving is different. Or so it's been reported - I personally, due to my personal snarkiness, think it's more that the new shocks don't ride like the old leaking worn-out shocks do :D

Now, if you don't want to go to Illumina IIs,, there's precious few other choices - Tokiko blues and KYB GR2s are about it, and neither one supports ARC.

RwP

I use the KYB shocks on my cars. I unplugged the actuators and removed them and the mounting brackets. Then I unplugged the ARC computer in the tray in the trunk. As much as the auto ride stuff was nice, now the car handles the same at all times, its predictable and I just have more confidence when throwing it into the curves.

My 1994 SC has suddently developed a clunking sound from the rear end. It happens when goving over small bumps. My guess is that it is a broken shock and/or mount but I have not had it on a lift to check it out.

Are the factory auto-ride-control shocks still available? If not, what shocks would be best to install (assuming that is the problem)?

Had the same thing on one of my SCs and it ended up being a loose shock mounting bolt.

David

On my '94 it ended up being the lower shock to control arm bushing. As the bushing collapses over time, it allows the shock to slide back and forth on the ferrul (sp?) The bolt will be tight, but if you grab the shock it will slide left to right and clunk.

A quick fix is to put some big fender washers in it to take up the slack, but the more appropriate fix is to buy the poly rear ARC shock bushings from Super Coupe Performance, and replace the lower bushings, and upper bushings while you are at it (both come in the kit anyway)

Hope this helps,

Jeramie

Back