89 SC 5-Speed Shifter

AlanS

This weekend I pulled off the freeway and stopped at a light, putting the SC in neutral. When I put it back in first to go, I noted the shifter seemed 'weird'. The throw into first was longer than usual, and the shifter felt...spongy? After a few more shifts, the shifter was wiggling all around, and I couldn't get the transmission out of first...

Long-story short is, evidently the bolts holding the shifter on the transmission vibrated out, and the whole shifter mechanism was free to move (I took it in to be repaired, so I didn't see the issue). The bolts were replaced, and the car's back to 'normal'.

Actually, the car shifts better now than it did before this issue...with one exception. Before this issue surfaced, I had to sort of 'guide' the shifter into third gear. Now, for the shift from 2nd to third, I just push the shifter forward and it 'finds' third...with one exception. The first time I drive the car after its sat a few hours, it won't 'find' third. It seems to hang up. If I futz around a little, it will slip into third, and once it does, it's fine until I let it sit a few hours again. At which time, it's finicky.

Any insight into what's going on? I presume it's some issue with heat, and once the transmission warms up a little, the issue resolves.

I know there's some issue with the stock shifter, and people replace it with a Hurst (I think) part. Does my issue sound like the typical issue with the stock shifter?

Thanks for any/all help.

Alan

My car is the total oppisite when it's cold it shifts perfectly but as it warms up it gets super hard to get it in to second and third gear but think my syncros are to blame might try some type of thicker fluid.
Syncros might be your problem aswell

Get a shifter rebuild kit from Transgo.

Available through most retailers... I ordered mine from Super Coupe Performance.

It isn't hard to do, and not necessarily will you use ALL the pieces (it's 'universal') but it will correct the shifting problems, most likely one of the plastic guides wore through...... and now the shift is sloppy....

For $15 it's a rather inexpensive fix.

Just do a Google search for "M5R2 shifter rebuild". Lots of info on the Net, and probably some old threads on SCCoA as well.

cheers
Ed

Get a shifter rebuild kit from Transgo.

Available through most retailers... I ordered mine from Super Coupe Performance.

It isn't hard to do, and not necessarily will you use ALL the pieces (it's 'universal') but it will correct the shifting problems, most likely one of the plastic guides wore through...... and now the shift is sloppy....

For $15 it's a rather inexpensive fix.

I've never heard of this transgo shifter rebuild you speak of. Got a link? I can't find anything on google either.

I had a transgo shift kit in my automatic SC but I wasn't happy with it so I bought a Lentech valve body and sold the transgo valve body. Come to find out my TV cable wasn't adjusted right but the Lentech was 10x better.

For the 5-speed the B&M Ripper is your best bet.

Thanks for your replies. I've noted the rebuild kit (and B&M) info for the future. I think my problem was self-induced. I just wasn't used to the way the car shifted, after the bolts were replaced. Anyway, the issue 'disappeared' and all's well now.

Alan

fyi the B&M Ripper shifter is no longer produced. Once they are gone they are gone. Super Coupe Performance has a few left last I heard. Very nice short positive shifts. So if you think you may want one, don't wait too long. Easy to install in under 30 minutes.

Back