Transmission problems

Metalcorpse

Hello again! (sorry if its in the wrong section)

Few of you may have seen me around talking about my nonsc. sadly its all i can afford at this moment. now i have the big problem ive been trying to solve on my own, but have had no luck.

my transmission is old, and is in need of a rebuild, but i have a feeling that there is a small problem, masked to look like a big one. wherever i drive, when leaving 1st, 2nd, or on occasion, 3rd, it will feel as though it "disengages" entirely. i was told this could be either the bands or valves. recently looked around and maybe its a shifting solenoid?

this is odd, even after driving a while it still does it. im sure its unfixable but whats strange is that last year i took the car in and had a full service, new gaskets, filters, oil and such. it worked like a brand new transmission. but now its doing it again... what could it be? i know automatics are difficult to determine without taking it apart.

also does this even without shifting. turning right mostly, but also in reverse. i park my car in an alley next to my home, when i back out, i let the idle carry the car, after 5 seconds of moving backwards it disengages, almost like its neutral, then just a second later it moves again. what could that mean?

currently driving a 93 cougar non sc v6.
sorrrrryyy for long post x.x

You might have a problem with the fluid level or the pickup / filter in the pan.

What about the TV bushing at the throttle body lever? Is it still there and tight?

yea the tv cable is fine. checked fluids, all fine. i figured it could also be the torque converter. although like i said autos are not easy to identify the problem unlike the manual counterpart

Sounds like broken stator in the torque coverter. But, then it would do it all the time. Would act like it wants to go into gear, but not go anywhere. Could be a problem with governor oil. If line pressure didnt rise, could cause similar problem. May have trash in the valve body. In that case some thing broke somewhere, most likely the converter. Happens alot, trash goes straight to vb.

Just curious about your screen name, you dig Dethklok, corpse paint, like King Diamond? Slayer fan showing my age....

These transmissions are garbage. There are a few common wear parts you can change yourself which may be causing these symptoms. You can find this info at the TCCOA in tech articles on the transmission

Sounds like broken stator in the torque coverter. But, then it would do it all the time. Would act like it wants to go into gear, but not go anywhere. Could be a problem with governor oil. If line pressure didnt rise, could cause similar problem. May have trash in the valve body. In that case some thing broke somewhere, most likely the converter. Happens alot, trash goes straight to vb.

Just curious about your screen name, you dig Dethklok, corpse paint, like King Diamond? Slayer fan showing my age....

yea i like dethklok, but the name was made up by me when i was playing a game, i was trying to find a username that didnt need numbers. something dark, but strangely satisfying. came up with it on my own.

but back OT you say might be the vb...i just had the thing fully serviced only a year ago, how can it be messed up already? also when i hit the gas, when at a stop, at times it will be fully disengaged. ill press the gas a little and it reengages after a second. ill get a video soon of what i mean. like, it will rev then after a few seconds quickly go into gear.....no pressure what i think....but the tq could be gone too...

These transmissions are garbage. There are a few common wear parts you can change yourself which may be causing these symptoms. You can find this info at the TCCOA in tech articles on the transmission

i know they are x.x but sadly im stuck with it until i can upgrade. are the cougar/thunderbird models 96 + any good? found a 96 for sale with a v8....just want it to float like my 93...i see how new vehicles slowly have a worse ride.

I am thinking oil pump or low fluid. I am no tranny expert. What I do know it that tranny shops will sell a rebuild any chance they get. The know most people know not a thing about them.

These trans are actually good, a bit heavy, but good. They are just showing age. If you do the updates they are bullet proof after a rebuild. Now, a518 chrystler is garbage. You have to do serious updates to it to make it live. But, good things about aod was at the time was first overdrive auto ford had AND hydraulic shift, which is great for not having electronics to make it shift.

i know they are x.x but sadly im stuck with it until i can upgrade. are the cougar/thunderbird models 96 + any good? found a 96 for sale with a v8....just want it to float like my 93...i see how new vehicles slowly have a worse ride.
If you have an AOD (fully hydraulic) then nothing after around 93 is going to work for you. The AODE and 4r70w are electrical. You can use a plain jane AOD. You don't need the A servo. And there is nothing wrong with the AOD. There are plenty of people who build them up to handle lots of torque. The remark that they are junk is not helpful.

Simplest thing you can do is to drain it, remove inspect and clean the valve body, reassemble with new gaskets, and see how it turns out.

Last edited:
If you have an AOD (fully hydraulic) then nothing after around 93 is going to work for you. The AODE and 4r70w are electrical. You can use a plain jane AOD. You don't need the A servo. And there is nothing wrong with the AOD. There are plenty of people who build them up to handle lots of torque. The remark that they are junk is not helpful.

Simplest thing you can do is to drain it, remove inspect and clean the valve body, reassemble with new gaskets, and see how it turns out.

X2 to that.

It's kind of hard to tell what's going on in that video I can't tell if it is shifting ridiculously too soon or of it is going out of gear. From the looks of it the transmission is shifting too soon and slipping but again that video doesn't show much.

How does it shift when shifting from 1st to drive manually?

video shows all i can show. when the rpms jump past 2 its because the transmission doesnt go into the next gear immediately. that lag causes it to bounce past 2k rpms. i believe it went into third before i slowed for the speedbump and turn. bout all it does. doesnt matter how hard its revved it will go into gear on its own time....bah

1-2 cut loose it what you would call that.

Think i have a ATSG AOD book somewhere in the shop.

Last edited:
I also thought of the kick down cable. I don't know if it's applicable on an AOD but I remember ther used to be a kickdown lever on old trannies. It was replaced by a cable. What I do remember is that if they're out of adjustment it would act like that.

Any way try to answer the question of how it shift if you manually shift it 1 to 2, 2 to drive, and drive to OD.

I also thought of the kick down cable. I don't know if it's applicable on an AOD but I remember ther used to be a kickdown lever on old trannies. It was replaced by a cable. What I do remember is that if they're out of adjustment it would act like that.

Any way try to answer the question of how it shift if you manually shift it 1 to 2, 2 to drive, and drive to OD.

The aod does not have a kick down cable. It has a TV cable that regulates line pressure. A maladjusted tv cable could cause poor line pressure. Typically if this cable is either broken or maladjusted it will burn up the clutch packs and quick.

Back