Snow peformance water/meth injection pros and cons and hp gains

90tbirdsc

Pretty much what the title says, what are some pros and cons to water methanol injection and the hp gains usually achieved with a sc with a late model with mp plenum at 15% od with a 31x11x3 fmic? I've heard to gain the most from it you need to tune for it but what would be wrong with not tuning for it and just using it as a safety measure against detonation and mabye gain a little hp in the process?

Its more for cooling the air temps to retain hp than it is to gain hp. Snow says it increases the octane of your fuel from 93 to 108 or so which is just a number tech threw around.

Its more for cooling the air temps to retain hp than it is to gain hp. Snow says it increases the octane of your fuel from 93 to 108 or so which is just a number tech threw around.

So basically no hp gains at the launch but once I'm mid 3rd mabye 10-15hp?And less risk of detonation?

In internal combustion engines, water methanol injection, also known as anti-detonant injection, is spraying water into the cylinder or incoming fuel-air mixture to cool the combustion chambers of the engine, allowing for greater compression ratios and largely eliminating the problem of engine knocking (detonation). This effectively reduces the air intake temperature in the combustion chamber, meaning that performance gains can be obtained when used in conjunction with a supercharger, turbocharger, altered spark ignition timing, and other modifications. The reduction of the air intake temperature allows for a more aggressive ignition timing to be employed, which increases the power output of the engine. Depending on the engine, improvements in power and fuel efficiency can also be obtained solely by injecting water.[1] Water injection may also be used to reduce NOx or carbon monoxide emissions. The horsepower you gain from methanol injection in other words is from bieng able to add timing and boost without cylinder detonation. You wont be able to nail down your horsepower gains until it is tuned without and with injection.

Last edited:
In internal combustion engines, water methanol injection, also known as anti-detonant injection, is spraying water into the cylinder or incoming fuel-air mixture to cool the combustion chambers of the engine, allowing for greater compression ratios and largely eliminating the problem of engine knocking (detonation). This effectively reduces the air intake temperature in the combustion chamber, meaning that performance gains can be obtained when used in conjunction with a supercharger, turbocharger, altered spark ignition timing, and other modifications. The reduction of the air intake temperature allows for a more aggressive ignition timing to be employed, which increases the power output of the engine. Depending on the engine, improvements in power and fuel efficiency can also be obtained solely by injecting water.[1] Water injection may also be used to reduce NOx or carbon monoxide emissions. The horsepower you gain from methanol injection in other words is from bieng able to add timing and boost without cylinder detonation. You wont be able to nail down your horsepower gains until it is tuned without and with injection.

10-4 I got it

It works great when it works but if an injector gets clogged, the line leaks, or the pump fails your motor can go boom very easy due to increased timing and increased chance of detonation. I am currently looking into this http://www.snowperformance.net/product.php?pk=13 and have also looked into aem failsafe kits http://www.aemelectronics.com/water-methanol-failsafe-device-1-4-sae-1184 which are pretty nice as well. Sine I have a snow kit myself I will probably go with the snow safeinjection kit myself still trying to decide.

It works great when it works but if an injector gets clogged, the line leaks, or the pump fails your motor can go boom very easy due to increased timing and increased chance of detonation. I am currently looking into this http://www.snowperformance.net/product.php?pk=13 and have also looked into aem failsafe kits http://www.aemelectronics.com/water-methanol-failsafe-device-1-4-sae-1184 which are pretty nice as well. Sine I have a snow kit myself I will probably go with the snow safeinjection kit myself still trying to decide.

But if I don't increase the timing and just use it to cool the charge air then if it fails then I just won't have the power That i would have when it was working correct?

At what psi/point do you see a horsepower benefit Dave?

If you use it and do increase your timing you will get a benifit at any boost level. WOuld I do that? No. But dependant on how BAD yoru IC is it can help keep your knock sensor in check and your ACT steady. Im sure Dave knows more abut the ins and outs with tuning and using METH. The big numbers you see posted in MAGS is because boost and timing were increased to take advantage of the extra "octane" so to speak the Meth injectiongives

If you use it and do increase your timing you will get a benifit at any boost level. WOuld I do that? No. But dependant on how BAD yoru IC is it can help keep your knock sensor in check and your ACT steady. Im sure Dave knows more abut the ins and outs with tuning and using METH. The big numbers you see posted in MAGS is because boost and timing were increased to take advantage of the extra "octane" so to speak the Meth injectiongives

I realize that. With the mpx and 15-17 psi on my car it didn't change my power much with or without it being that I had it tuned both ways. When using it and adding timing, didn't net me more power so there was no reason too add timing. More of a safety net in my case.

I tuned with meth only when I switched to the autorotor, now I make about 18psi.

chris

Im surprised. Allot of guys Ive seen have gotten quite a bit of power by adding to thier overall timing. I would have personally experimented I just was tired of blowing headgaskets once a year!

I've used it for several years now and it does taking some know how to get the correct jet sizes and voltage rate adjustment. That being said I also run 18-20psi, with 28 deg. of timing with 50/50 mix

Back