Timing 4.6 ??

hydroracer100N

I see timing marks on my 96 4.6 front crank seal cover "ETC+BTDC".... But no crank sensor? ....How is this timed?...On my SC I had to slot the vane holes to the harmonic to time cause the bolt holes in the harmonic were so far off when I had one of those junk after market, made in China, E-Bay harmonics ....Been using premium and still have some ignition ping in the 4.6 with pedal to the wood.;)

Last edited:
Crank senser is on pass side next to compressor. You have to take compressor bolts out to get to it. You can adjust timing if you use a adjustable timing wheel. Its like 150.00 for a steeda like i used on the mark viii. Thanks to the epa and govt, gas isnt what it was.

And the trigger wheel is under the front cover keyed to the crank.

You may want to try cleaning the MAF sensor and making sure the o2's are reading properly, IAT sensor is good also. Before you go trying to time it mechanically when that is stationary and the timing is computer controlled.

It really could be gas. There was a point where i had the mark dialed in on mid grade on a hot day. That way should never have a problem on super. Was fine till a couple of years ago, had to back it off to base timing again. Gas has been steadily getting worse in the last few years. But, it would be a good idea to check everything over. If egr doesnt open at cruise, that could cause ping, running hot, or running lean.

Back