Lower Control Arm options???

kostaccio

I have a 90 SC and I am looking into replacing the lower control arms. I found some Mevotech LCAs part number MK80053 and MK80055. Why does it say on their website they are for a car "w/o auto levelling suspension"? Are they referring to the 'firm ride' our cars have? I'm not a mechanic but I don't believe the lower control arm has anything to do with the firm ride. I like these LCAs since the ball joint on both sides is greasable. Any help would be greatly appreciated seeing mine need replaced asap.

http://partsonline.mevotech.com/MMYSearch.aspx

I have a 90 SC and I am looking into replacing the lower control arms. I found some Mevotech LCAs part number MK80053 and MK80055. Why does it say on their website they are for a car "w/o auto levelling suspension"? Are they referring to the 'firm ride' our cars have? I'm not a mechanic but I don't believe the lower control arm has anything to do with the firm ride. I like these LCAs since the ball joint on both sides is greasable. Any help would be greatly appreciated seeing mine need replaced asap.

http://partsonline.mevotech.com/MMYSearch.aspx

"Leveling suspension" aka air bags......
Has nothing todo with firm ride

Steve

Thanks, I thought that in the back of my head but I wasn't sure if anyone makes an air bag setup for these cars

In my experience, I've never had any brand of LCA assembly hold up, including Ford. I ended up pressing in new ball joints into old LCAs to get a good setup. The beefier Moog balljoint is the way to go and they don't use them in their LCA assembly.

Also, and this is a BIG deal... make sure you install matched LCAs. The millimeter differences btwn a regular LCA for a tbird vs. an SC is enough to cause a braking lurch+swerve. The only thing you can truely rely on is the OEM part.

Last edited:
However, they will often categorize the ARC as "leveling", etc.

Oh, I stand corrected then. Lol thanks I would have thought that'd only apply to air bag setups as found on a Lincoln mark 8
Never would have thought of ARC as a leveling application. (Arc doesn't level, just stiffens)

Steve

In my experience, I've never had any brand of LCA assembly hold up, including Ford. I ended up pressing in new ball joints into old LCAs to get a good setup. The beefier Moog balljoint is the way to go and they don't use them in their LCA assembly.

Also, and this is a BIG deal... make sure you install matched LCAs. The millimeter differences btwn a regular LCA for a tbird vs. an SC is enough to cause a braking lurch+swerve. The only thing you can truely rely on is the OEM part.

You think the forgings are different? The only difference I have been aware of is in the durometer of the arm-to-frame bushing, where the LX and base model car had a softer one. And it appears that there is no longer a part available that has the harder one for the SC, so any LCA you get has the softer one.

I went ahead and ordered the Mevotech LCAs to give them a shot, I may keep the original control arms just as spares. I figure atleast the Mevotech ones have greasable ball joints which I hope will be better than ones that aren't.

I went ahead and ordered the Mevotech LCAs to give them a shot, I may keep the original control arms just as spares. I figure atleast the Mevotech ones have greasable ball joints which I hope will be better than ones that aren't.

I have a small stack of LCAs waiting for ball joints and bushings. Just in case, I guess.

Opinions vary on the greasable ball joints. Some like the greasable because you can grease them, some like the sealed because you don't have to. I personally like the OEM ones which were teflon-lined (for smoother steering) and sealed. I don't know if any of the new ones available now are teflon-lined.

I have a small stack of LCAs waiting for ball joints and bushings. Just in case, I guess.

Opinions vary on the greasable ball joints. Some like the greasable because you can grease them, some like the sealed because you don't have to. I personally like the OEM ones which were teflon-lined (for smoother steering) and sealed. I don't know if any of the new ones available now are teflon-lined.

I like being able to keep them greased. It's like my 85 Grand Prix, every oil change while I am under the car I grease everything. But that's just me. Atleast with all these new parts it should get rid of my lower ball joint creaking

Back