Problems with my new SC

the mayce

Please Help!!!
I have just recentely bought a 94 SC with 140K miles. The dealer just rebuilt the motor and I have had a few problems with it since I bought it. Just recently the car was overheating and the shop found out the timing cover was cracked, they replaced it and the pump while they were there and now since they put everything back on the front of the motor.....It will barely idle. It will jump between 700 and 800 rpm in a weird heartbeat kind of way until it gets to 1500 RPM then it's fine.If you let it idle for more than 2-5 seconds it will die. Is a vacuum hose off..... HELP!!!

---update ....I found the hose that runs to the intake tube was disconnected, but it stills runs bad ....it just doesn't die as easily...

The yokels had the right connection tube off the supercharger (between the intercooler and the top of the SC) and I doubt they know anything about the system (if there is anything specific you have to know) and I also noticed the boost is only about 8psi where it used to be 12-15. And the vacuum is almost nothing at idle where it used to sit about 9:00 o'clock on the gauge. Any thoughts????
:confused:

Sounds like you have a vacuum leak...check the IC tubes connections,make sure they are TIGHT,esp. at the IC and SC top.
z

^^^^Along those same lines, one of the things I didn't know before actually owning one of these SC's was that each connection of the intercooler tubing is supposed to use a special teflon tape sealer available only from Ford and some of the SC specialty shops.

None of the techs I know knew of this (and I know several) and I wouldn't be a bit surprised to find the tech that did yours didn't know either. I mean he did turn it back to you in this condition after all. No professional that I know would do so. So the vacuum leak idea is likely IMO.

The EEC computer could be confused all to heck because of the vaccum leak.
Try this:
Disconnect the (-) battery cable and wait 5 min. While you are waiting, shut the heater controls, radio etc off, so there is no electrical load on anything. Automatic lights too.
Reconnect the cable. Start the engine, DO NOT TOUCH THE THROTTLE! Let it idle for one minute. The next few times you start and stop the car, the EEC will gradually re learn all the settings for a smooth idle. Initially, it may be better than it was, after you drive it a few times, it may get better and better. If there is no change, something else is still at fault.

Don't worry about trying to find the teflon sealing tape for the intercooler connections. Just get a tube of Permatex gasket seal (RTV Copper is what I use) that is sensor safe and apply a thin coat to the connecting surfaces. Works like a champ and stays where you put it. Some folks say you need to let it cure before using the car, but I've never had any problems by just putting it on and letting it set for about an hour.

Anyway, rough idle is generally due to something simple.....vacuum leaks, bad plugs or wires, bad engine mounts (believe it or not). If you have disconnected the battery, follow the computer re-learn proceedure.

Back