GTP rotors vs. new mp rotors

mywhite89

Has anyone moved from good gtp rotors to these new MP rotors and dyno'd their car yet? If so, what was the horsepower difference? Im talking old style gtp rotors like from, the early 2000 cars.

chris

I know Dave73 runs the 5th generation GTP rotors. Through conversation with him I believe the 5th generation rotor pack has a different pitch on the leading edge of the rotor making them more efficient. That said I would say a coated MP rotor pack will probably not perform as well as a coated 5th generation GTP rotor pack. dave73 is the guy you want to ask as he has experience on both sides of the fence regarding the M90.

Has anyone moved from good gtp rotors to these new MP rotors and dyno'd their car yet? If so, what was the horsepower difference? Im talking old style gtp rotors like from, the early 2000 cars.

chris

It is a night and day difference the old coating is just like the coating on the 94 95 sc blowers. The new coating is an interferance fit coating and the old coating is pretty much junk. The route I took was puting the gen 5 abradive coated rotor pack out of an 07 gtp low mile blower but because the rotor shafts are a different size in the back they had to be machined. I also had the bearing plate ported for better flow and installed 90 psi ptfe seals in the bearing plate to prevent snout pressurization. If you need any info on this just call me chris.

Dave you wouldn't happen to have a picture of our rotor pack next to yours to show the different pitch would you? I know you have a lot into your setup and wonder if the pitch difference is worth looking into. I know the inlet is restrictive and glade you are working with Charles on that but have you talked to him about the different rotor pitch to see what his thoughts were?

No i dont have any pictures of the pitch difference and even if I did it is in thousanths, it would be hard to see with the naked eye. I started the Gen V project far before MP even had the abradive coated rotors. If they where available when I bought my MPX I would have gone that route aside from the pitch of the rotors they are on pretty equal ground and a great product for the m90. I wont know the effects of what the gen 5 rotor pack is going to do until it is up at SCU for tuning and unless I had another MPX with his coated rotors wouldnt know which is better. My decision was based off of the difference in performance I experinced with my Grand Prix GTX. I had an early model blower with a 3.4 pulley (small for a grand prix) completely ported inlet and outlet with good coated gtp rotors and upon installing the gen 5 blower stock with a 3.8 pulley it pushed 2 to 3 psi more than the maxed out gen 3 and the air temps where an avg of 30 degrees lower on the gen 5 and it just ran better period. This project was very expensive to put together I spent 400 on the gen v blower 700 for the machine work and blower assembley 1100 on the mpx and inlet and another 250 on bearings seals and other misc parts that doesnt include the 10 rib or the other money I am spending on the project I have going now with the inlet. I really wanted to keep my car an m90 car I guess lol.

It is a night and day difference the old coating is just like the coating on the 94 95 sc blowers. The new coating is an interferance fit coating and the old coating is pretty much junk. The route I took was puting the gen 5 abradive coated rotor pack out of an 07 gtp low mile blower but because the rotor shafts are a different size in the back they had to be machined. I also had the bearing plate ported for better flow and installed 90 psi ptfe seals in the bearing plate to prevent snout pressurization. If you need any info on this just call me chris.

Dave, what made you machine the rotors versus the case of the mpx? Out of room?

Thanks for the info, so the pitch isn't a big enough difference to be worth the cost or HP benefit. I know with the new inlet I should be able to hit my 400hp goal on pump gas or at least I hope.

Thanks for the info, so the pitch isn't a big enough difference to be worth the cost or HP benefit. I know with the new inlet I should be able to hit my 400hp goal on pump gas or at least I hope.

I don't think Dave means that, just simply that you cannot see the difference from a picture. Way I see it after talking to Dave, these new rotors may be a big improvement. Be nice to stick a mpxs on his car, tune it, then switch to his new blower/ inlet and see what happens. That would answer some questions.

Chris

I don't think Dave means that, just simply that you cannot see the difference from a picture. Way I see it after talking to Dave, these new rotors may be a big improvement. Be nice to stick a mpxs on his car, tune it, then switch to his new blower/ inlet and see what happens. That would answer some questions.

Chris
Well said chris I was simply stating in a picture it would be tough to see the difference in .004 and .010 but it is enough to make a healthy difference in the way the blower performs and mine is going to be overdriven 30% so we will see when I put car to dyno!

Dave, what made you machine the rotors versus the case of the mpx? Out of room?

Just the rear rotor shaft has to be machined because they used a larger open ended bearing in the rear of the case in the gen v so the had to be shortened to fit the closed bearing in the back of the case.

Ya I am only 25% overdrive right now and already around 20PSI on the MPXs. If it is more efficient due to the pitch it would be nice to see what that is. If I can make it out to the shootout this year I would be all in for letting you use my blower to see the different in the two but I am sure there has to be someone closer to you that could help with the test if I can't make it out.

Ya I am only 25% overdrive right now and already around 20PSI on the MPXs. If it is more efficient due to the pitch it would be nice to see what that is. If I can make it out to the shootout this year I would be all in for letting you use my blower to see the different in the two but I am sure there has to be someone closer to you that could help with the test if I can't make it out.
we would just have to compare our builds and see that all things are really close but with mine bieng a 5 speed aluminum drive shaft (11 lbs of rotating mass) those differences alone are going to throw the numbers way off so we would have to put yours or another mpxs on my car to see what the result is. But you have made me alot more confident that I may break 400 w mine so I really appreciate the boost cause im nervous!

Back