Front end woes

scjranchero

I purchased a used 90 xr7 and the steering wobbles back and forth like crazy-I hear there is a common problem with the bearings or something and to fix this you can use new parts from a different car (mustang?) you can save a lot of money because the actual replacement parts for the xr7 cost about twice as much. Does this sound familiar? In order to use the parts from the other car you have to replace the rotors as well. Does this sound familiar to anyone? Thanks. Gary O. On second thought I am pretty sure it's the bearings-the wheels have a lot of play in them

Last edited:
If you are not familiar with suspensions I would recommend getting it checked out by someone who knows what to look for prior to throwing parts at your car. There are a number of things that could make the when feel loose other than hub/bearing assemblies. You could have worn ball joints or tie rods. You could also have worn bearings but before you go through that work I would get the suspension inspected by a professional.

If you do upgrade to the mustang hub/bearing assembly then you will also need all new wheels as the lug pattern is different.

If it's the front hubs / bearings, the "you can save a lot of money" is a dirty duck.

For instance, a pair of new front hubs can be purchased for under $250 for the good stuff, more like $125 for the cheap stuff ( from RockAuto ... http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php?carcode=1198650&parttype=1636 ). You'll also need a pair of spindle nuts, again not that much really ...

It's not much less for the Mustang hubs, and you then need new rotors, to swap to 93+ spindles to get a matching caliper, new sway bar end links to fit the new spindle ... which the SBELs can be as much as one factory hub assembly unless you buy the cheap chinee crap!

I HIGHLY recommend picking up a copy of both the Ford Service Manual and the Electrical Vacuum Troubleshooting Manual (aka EVTM) , either from Helm Inc. ( www.helminc.com ) or eBay. Check the prices at Helm, our manuals are dirt cheap and I've seen used, dirty, torn manuals on eBay for our cars for more than Helm gets! (Same price on eBay is a bargain for others ... oh, well.)

Also, don't forget to check out the info on TCCoA's forums ( www.tccoa.com and the forum's at forums.tccoa.com ) since most of the generic information is the same, be it 3.8NA, 3.8SC, 5.0HO, or 4.6L motor.

RwP

That was very helpful guys-thanks. I will get the manual and take the car to an alignment place,thanks again! Gary.

Back