air to water Intercooler

kenewagner

I am closing in on finishing this part of the project. I should have it(IC setup) running this weekend. I finished Fabricating the water tank yesterday and I mounted it in the trunk for ease of access. Was going to mount it behind the passenger seat but I wanted the pump directly under the tank and there was just not enough space with the snake pit of tubes underneath. The Jasbro water pump mounts directly under the tank so I should get real good flow to it. I am installing an electric operated valve for the drain so I can just hit a toggle switch in the trunk to drain hot water or make more room for ice. Using a good silicone hose with all the hot pipes. Just started running them so will post something up this weekend. The heat exchanger mounts up front and is a big sucker. Looking forward to wrapping this up and go to other parts of the project

Ken

Attachments

• Finished water tank.JPG
    Finished water tank.JPG
    241.3 KB · Views: 1,193
  • IC painted.JPG
    IC painted.JPG
    186.8 KB · Views: 855
Last edited:
Very nice Ken ! Are you planning to mount some puller fans on the heat exchanger ?

David

It hangs directly in front of the bumper openings so it should get forced air through the core. I dont know if a puller fan, (I do have one), is needed. I find myself in unfamiliar waters here.

It hangs directly in front of the bumper openings so it should get forced air through the core. I dont know if a puller fan, (I do have one), is needed. I find myself in unfamiliar waters here.

It won't cool much sitting still in staging, just like the rad. But if you are adding ice at the track not a big deal, and really should bypass the HE or run the HE after the IC so the ice goes straight to the IC.

I bought a new air to water IC rated at 1500cfm. I modified it so I could run (2) 2" pipes from the turbos. I figured bigger is better.

Ken

I'm gonna run a Spearco unit 2-276 for my setup. I'm having a custom tank and Ice setup made similar to yours. Like is said below I'll run the heat exchanger after the I/C before reservoir, then the ice box before the intercooler.

It won't cool much sitting still in staging, just like the rad. But if you are adding ice at the track not a big deal, and really should bypass the HE or run the HE after the IC so the ice goes straight to the IC.

The water pump is under the water tank. Pump line goes to the IC and than to the front HE. I never thought about adding a bypass line to bypass the heat exchanger for racing. All the reading I have done on the internet, I have yet to see that done. Wondering if that would be worth the trouble to plumb

Ken

The water pump is under the water tank. Pump line goes to the IC and than to the front HE. I never thought about adding a bypass line to bypass the heat exchanger for racing. All the reading I have done on the internet, I have yet to see that done. Wondering if that would be worth the trouble to plumb

Ken

The cobra/lightning guys that use the killer chiller like to bypass the HE. The killer chiller is a system that uses the AC system to cool the water.

great job as always ken.

When you get it up do a flow test so you can see how much water is flowing through the whole system over time.
I suggest switches for the pump and pusher fans on their own switches so you can run them both independent of the ignition. The main benefit of the fans is for when returning from a run and when parked to bring the water temp back down as you idle around or when the engine is off. It also allows you to pack the tank with ice, and run the pump to pre-cool the entire system before going back to staging so you can pack even more ice.

I never ran fans when driving on the street. Only at the track or if I was going to put the hurt on someone. I had the pump run all the time. I also turned the fans off when running down the track. Wanted all the volts I could get for the ignition system and fuel pump. Didn't move enough water through the intercooler to need the fans at that time. that's why you test your system for flow rates so you can figure out how much water you are actually moving in a single run down the track.

great job as always ken.

When you get it up do a flow test so you can see how much water is flowing through the whole system over time.
I suggest switches for the pump and pusher fans on their own switches so you can run them both independent of the ignition. The main benefit of the fans is for when returning from a run and when parked to bring the water temp back down as you idle around or when the engine is off. It also allows you to pack the tank with ice, and run the pump to pre-cool the entire system before going back to staging so you can pack even more ice.

I never ran fans when driving on the street. Only at the track or if I was going to put the hurt on someone. I had the pump run all the time. I also turned the fans off when running down the track. Wanted all the volts I could get for the ignition system and fuel pump. Didn't move enough water through the intercooler to need the fans at that time. that's why you test your system for flow rates so you can figure out how much water you are actually moving in a single run down the track.

Do you have a number (gallon wise per minute) you feel is optimum for best performance? Everything you say makes sense

Ken

Do you have a number (gallon wise per minute) you feel is optimum for best performance? Everything you say makes sense

Ken

It really depends on your setup and the perfect number is not easy to figure out. You know when you don't have it, but what it should be is not something I'm able to calculate. Data log intake air temp and if you're seeing it rise in a 1/4 pass with iced water, you may want to flow more.

mine would move 1 gallon in 13 seconds. My system capacity was 4 gallons, and my tank held 3 gallons of ice water. I saw a 40-50f temp rise in a 13 second 1/4 run. 1 gallon in 13 seconds is about 6 gallons per minute. I would have liked more like 3 gallons in 12 seconds, but that 's around 15gpm, which starts to get expensive and specialized. And that assumes that water will flow through the tubes in the intercooler and heat exchanger that fast without too much pressure.

So really, somewhere between 7gpm and 10gpm would be ideal in a system for a car making low 12 second 1/4 mile runs. Doing 10's or 11's, watch the AIR temps and flow as much as you can.

Looks great as always Ken.

Just curious how you routed the water lines from the trunk to the engine bay. I'm thinking along the DS frame rail similar to the way the fuel lines run on the PS but I'm curious what you came up with.

Good question on the flow and I haven't heard a definitive answer either. I am going to run a pump rated at 55gpm open flow with -12 lines and a 5 gallon tank. No idea what it will actually flow though.

It really depends on your setup and the perfect number is not easy to figure out. You know when you don't have it, but what it should be is not something I'm able to calculate. Data log intake air temp and if you're seeing it rise in a 1/4 pass with iced water, you may want to flow more.

mine would move 1 gallon in 13 seconds. My system capacity was 4 gallons, and my tank held 3 gallons of ice water. I saw a 40-50f temp rise in a 13 second 1/4 run. 1 gallon in 13 seconds is about 6 gallons per minute. I would have liked more like 3 gallons in 12 seconds, but that 's around 15gpm, which starts to get expensive and specialized. And that assumes that water will flow through the tubes in the intercooler and heat exchanger that fast without too much pressure.

So really, somewhere between 7gpm and 10gpm would be ideal in a system for a car making low 12 second 1/4 mile runs. Doing 10's or 11's, watch the AIR temps and flow as much as you can.

The Jabsco pump is rated at 29 gallons per minute. It is suppose to flow 38% better than a Bosch pump. I plan to get a 5 gallon bucket and rig a switch to the pump wires and see how much it flows in 10 seconds. My goal is a 10 second car. The turbos should not make as much heat as blower so that is to my advantage.

I havent finished the running of the hoses yet from the IC to the front of the car. I can say they will run in the driveshaft tunnel. I will post some more pictures this weekend. Gets kind of crazy looking at the underside of my car anymore.:rolleyes:

Attachments

• IC water lines.JPG
    IC water lines.JPG
    215 KB · Views: 258
I havent finished the running of the hoses yet from the IC to the front of the car. I can say they will run in the driveshaft tunnel. I will post some more pictures this weekend. Gets kind of crazy looking at the underside of my car anymore.:rolleyes:

I guess I was concerned that running that route would place the lines in close proximity to the exhaust for an extended period of time and possibly pick up some heat. Probably negligible though.

I guess I was concerned that running that route would place the lines in close proximity to the exhaust for an extended period of time and possibly pick up some heat. Probably negligible though.

In my case the exhaust is wrapped, while that doesnt eliminate all the heat, it should cut down a lot of it. My bigger concern was hoses hanging down and road clearance.

Ken

Back